Neutral/Earth circuit continuity
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jpollard
Labourer
Labourer

Neutral/Earth circuit continuity

by jpollard » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:26 am

Hi, I am in the process of fitting a new kitchen to my property and found that the EARTH circuit in the house is acting as the Neutral (as well as the Neutral wire) therefore when I put a meter across the POSITIVE (live)cable and EARTH cable I get 250 volts (likewise with the Neutral cable), there is also continuity with the earth and Neutral circuitry. I have checked all sockets and swicthes and everything looks OK.
I have also noticed that when the isolater switch in the consumer unit is turned OFF, then the fault in the house disappears in that there is not continuity with the Neutral and Earth circuits. On metering the incoming supply into the consumer unit with the unit switched off, the incoming Neutral cable has continuity with the Earth.Do you think my problem is with the incoming supply and the house circuit is sound ?

kuzz
Ganger
Ganger

by kuzz » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:37 pm

this is completely normal. earth and neutral are connected together at the suppliers end, and in many systems earth and neutral are combined up until the suppliers cut out in the property. get a pro in for any electrical additions or alterations in your kitchen.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:36 pm

I think you need an electrician.

Cheers

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:00 pm

jpollard, are related to sue pollard if so she may be better using the test meters!
Sorry only joking about that, but you must understand that it is not safe to stick probes in to live circuits if you are not aware of the results to expect
Line to Earth on a live circuit you will get a voltage around 240v
Line to Neutral same as above,
You have Line voltage at about 240v and neutral and earth both 0v add them together
240+0=240
Continuity wil be found between earth and neutral if isolator is closed, on some earthing arrangements as they are supplied down the same cable then seperated at cut-out. So when you isolate the double pole switch this will disconnect the neutral. So contniuity then stops at the cu to your installation in the house.
Be careful
KB

jpollard
Labourer
Labourer

by jpollard » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:02 am

Is the consensus then, that I do not have a problem ?

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:36 pm

jpollard,
the problem you have is you don't understand the readings a voltage indictaor should give, and earthing arrangements.
You don't have an electrical problem from the infomation you have given!
KB

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:41 am