New 16amp Cooker on Circuit With 13amp Breaker

Postby Jim123 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:59 am

Hi currently looking at replacing cooker, thought it would be simple until I saw that many new cookers are 16 amp rated. I am not an electrician so not sure if I can put one of those in.

At the moment our oven is hard wired in to a cooker switch which also incorporates a 13 amp socket this in turn is protected on the mcb with a 32amp breaker.

Thoughts please. I do have the option of getting a 13 amp rated cooker but wife prefers one of the 16 amp rated ones
Jim123
Progress to next rank:
25%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby Mr White » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:57 pm

But you don't use the socket to plug the cooker into, so a 16A cooker will be fine. Most cooker suppliers will connect the new cooker to an existing cooker point for you.
Mr White
Progress to next rank:
38.3%

Postby Jim123 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:46 pm

Thanks

I keep getting told that the new cooker should be protected by a 16amp fuse , the only protection it does have is the 32 amp breaker.

having said that i have had a 13amp rated cooker wired in there for past 20 years with no hassle
Jim123
Progress to next rank:
25%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!