New Apartments Lift required?
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Fox101
Labourer
Labourer

New Apartments Lift required?

Post by Fox101 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:48 pm

Hi all,

This is my first post on here although I've found the info on here invaluable in the past. Basically I have a friend who has a plot of land that currently houses some old lock ups/storage units. He is wanting to look at potentially putting apartments on the plot (its in not too bad a location). At this stage trying to avoid architects fees and produce some sketches as to how many units could fit on the site to see if its worth taking forward.

I am semi-familiar with building regs, but regarding apartments at what point/building height is it required that an elevator needs to be provided?

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: New Apartments Lift required?

Post by welsh brickie » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:49 am

an elevator does not need to be required at any height its there for convience,In the event of a fire the elevators power is cut,as fire is the main concern with apartment blocks.

Fox101
Labourer
Labourer

Re: New Apartments Lift required?

Post by Fox101 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:44 am

welsh brickie wrote:an elevator does not need to be required at any height its there for convience,In the event of a fire the elevators power is cut,as fire is the main concern with apartment blocks.

Welsh,

Many thanks I suspected as much, as after going through all the Building regs Documents the only reference I could find to providing one was regarding disabled access, although providing one was not required as a stipulation.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1