New bathroom light. Help lots of wires!!!!
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
spook1953
Labourer
Labourer

New bathroom light. Help lots of wires!!!!

by spook1953 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:11 pm

I want to install a spotlight bar but when undoing the old ceiling rose I have 3 sets of wires coming in from the ceiling. All 3 red wires are wound together and are fastened into one of the screws on the light holder. With the black wires 2 are wound together and are fastened into one of the screws on the light holder. The other black cable is on its own and is wired into the third screw on the light holder. The earth wires are just wound together and do not go into the light fitting at all.
My new light fitting has vacancies for live, neutral and earth. What do I wire where on the new fitting? Please anyone?

ericmark

by ericmark » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:54 am

In this country the ceiling rose is also a junction box and has:-
Line Switch
Line Loop
Neutral
Earth
The extra one is the Line Loop as to how to deal with will depend on room etc. Often I replace to three way connector block with a four way connector block.
The Line Loop is the one with all the red wires and does not connect to the light directly.
Often the connector blocks in lamps are also too small to take the extra wires most electricians carry some 15 amp block for this job.
See http://www.ericmark.talktalk.net/lights.htm
Eric

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

by collectors » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:21 pm

Switch off fuse board.
Check light is suitable for bathroom use.
Place the three reds in a plastic connector & forget about them.
Connect the 2 blacks that are twisted to the blue from the light fitting.
Connect the single black wire to the brown of the light fitting.
Connect all the earths together.
Make sure all copper wires are in the connectors & not showing.
Screw light up & turn on.

ericmark

by ericmark » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:34 pm

I had not registered the bathroom location and considered the like for like requirement under the Part P regulations and of course if there is a question on how to connect due to different connections in the lamp then either you must pay Gordon Brown his tax by contacting the LABC or pay vat etc by engaging a registered electrician to do the work even I am not allowed to alter my bathroom electrics without paying the fees. He will most likely bring back window tax next year!
Eric

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:36 am