New build flooring question.
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
miketherock
Labourer
Labourer

New build flooring question.

Post by miketherock » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:51 pm

I currently have a contractor rebuilding an old substandard extension to up-to-date regulations. My wife has got her heart set on having real reclaimed floor boards. The new floor build up is proposed to be concrete with a screed finish, with the obvious DPM and insulation below.
I have talked to a few old friends that, (like myself )have been in the construction industry for many years. I want to fix 50mm battens into the 70mm screed so that the battens are approx 5-8mm proud of the screed surface. Then I want to fix the real floor boards to these battens much like fixing floorboards to joists. This would give the floor a small degree of flex when walking on them, much like the real thing.
My builder thinks that my building inspector will dismiss this idea as there would be a small air gap between screed and underside of boards that must have ventilation. I had mentioned laying a felt underlay and even another DPM over the battened floor prior to fixing the boards.
Apart from fitting laminated or solid wood flooring which often have small gaps underneath them once installed, has anyone got solid knowledge or evidence that my idea is unworkable, in breach of regulations or just plane crazy?
Thanks for reading and I look forward to your responses.
miketherock.

xavi99
Ganger
Ganger

New build flooring question

Post by xavi99 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:43 pm

You should not require insulation because what you are proposing is on the warm side of the new floor insulation. By providing ventilation to this floor you will be ventilating on the warm side of the insulation and thus rendering the insulation ineffective.

hth

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

Post by collectors » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:41 pm

If i am reading this right??? You will of had something like a hard core infill with a thick layer of sand then a DPM with 70-100mm celotex insulation on top of this. If you are now going to lay the concrete on this & sink the 50mm battens into this layer of concrete i would advise not as you will weaken the floor quite a bit with only leaving a 20mm thick layer of concrete in a lot of areas. This wont be strong enough.

miketherock
Labourer
Labourer

Post by miketherock » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:12 pm

That makes sense. Thank you.
So my original plan is sound? Battens in the screed just proud of the screed level and fix the reclaimed floorboards directly to the battens.

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

Post by Perry525 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:16 pm

Why not install a fully floating floor?
T&G glued together.

calvinwilliam
Labourer
Labourer

Re: New build flooring question.

Post by calvinwilliam » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:11 am

Flooring play important role to decor your home beautifully and attractive. I think that you have to take advice from any expert of flooring worker.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: New build flooring question.

Post by welsh brickie » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:21 pm

you dont need 50mm thick battens use 50mm x 25mm thick battens and nail galvanised nails in each side for the screed to grip the battens,lay at 400mm centres I would also add a vapour barrier on the entire floor to prevent any moisture before fixing the floorboards

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:08 pm