New Build - Height of Patio!
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Cowbags
Labourer
Labourer

New Build - Height of Patio!

Post by Cowbags » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:25 am

Hi,

I have recently moved into my first new build home which is subject to the NHBC guarantee. I'm hoping you guys can answer my query as am not sure where to turn for the answer!

The patio in the back garden is at the same height as the sill at the bottom of the patio doors which means that it sits above the damp proof course. From my research on the internet, I understand that the ground level should always be at 150mm below the damp proof course.

I have argued this point with the housebuilders, however they tell me that the patio meets the current Part M Building Regulations for disabled access. (I would like to point out that the disabled access at the front of the house is more than adequate)!!

Can anyone with any accurate knowledge of the building regulations inform me who is correct please!! I don't want to suffer with rising damp in the future but haven't got a clue what step to take next!

Many thanks!

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

disabled access

Post by welsh brickie » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:46 pm

there should be just a ramp to the doors,not a whole patio if this is the case then it will cause damp.

andy01
Ganger
Ganger

Post by andy01 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:02 pm

"more than adaquate at the front"

lets imagine you're disabled and you live in your house. you want to use your garden, right? but to get there your have to go out the front door...

anyway, get independant advice from a professional, like local building control, as a letter from them has real weight behind it.

the biggest concern for damp is not where the patio is against the patio door, but where the patio is against the brickwork wall adjacent to the door.

the dpc should be 150mm above.
and in this case the building is required to meet part m.

both of these criterior must be meet, the building regs is not there to pick and chose from.

make sure the patio falls away from the building

maybe suggest instead of reducing the height of the patio, ask for a drain to be installed along the wall to help reduce the risk of problems.

make sure this is actually connected to the surface water drainage system

ask to see teh external works drawing (or similar) and see if teh levels and access on the drawing has actually been built, but remeber there are several ways to solve the same problem

when nhbc sign off a building, its good for ten years. so if you have a problem you can make a claim - make sure you keep all corespondance and keep a record of everyone you speak to. and email as thats a real record

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1