new ceiling light comes on during powercut
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
debbiejohn
Labourer
Labourer

new ceiling light comes on during powercut

by debbiejohn » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:42 pm

my friend had a 2nd ceiling light installed in the hall feeding from the original, I think. A 2nd light switch has also been added, so that you can switch off either end. During a recent short powercut, the new light remained on, but dim. (she had used a dimmer bulb by mistake). What caused this and is it dangerous :?:

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:40 pm

You said "had a 2nd ceiling light installed". That implies they paid someone to do it. The remedy is to get that person back in at his/her cost to sort it!

Cheers

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:52 pm

Hi,
you say during a power cut, it may have been what is known as a
'brown-out' (NO sniggering at the back!).
It means a very low voltage still on system, not enough to operate any equipment but if it's a low energy lamp which was on at the time it may still glow on dimly.
Unless it stays on when turned off during normal operation I would not worry.
If it's a normal filament lamp which glows when turned off then it needs investigating,
regards Sparx

debbiejohn
Labourer
Labourer

by debbiejohn » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:28 pm

Thx for the 2 replies. It was a qualifed electrician who installed it but didn't know the answer. As my friend is an elderly widow who wanted a 2nd opinion I said I'd try on line for her.
I will pass on the info given by 'Sparx' thank you.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:34 pm