New Ceiling Light Wiring for Ceiling Rose - Advice Needed
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
orsm
Labourer
Labourer

New Ceiling Light Wiring for Ceiling Rose - Advice Needed

by orsm » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:20 am

Hello,

My Dad would normally help with the electrics but is out the country at present so hoping some kind soul could give me a few pointers.

I have removed an old "rose" ceiling light fixture as I wish to install a new fitted light fixture. As you can see from the picture I have added there are 2 blue wires 2 brown wires, an earth wire and a black wire.

My first question is what is the Black wire, its got a dark brown sleeve over it but is definitely Black.
The light fixture I have bought from next has 1 brown, 1 blue, and the earth, it states that the earth MUST be connected, they have supplied a wiring connector (looks like a lego block)
I understand that the earth from the light fixture will go in one of the holes on the connector and the earth wire from the ceiling will go the other side of the connector, same for the blue from the light fixture in one end and the 2 blue wires from the ceiling will go opposite but in the same hole, same with the brown wires, but what about the Black wire ? the connector they have supplied only has 3 holes on each side. Should I buy a bigger connector block so that the black wire can be connected or is the black wire a non essential wire (tape it up it not needed)

Thank you.
Attachments
wiring.jpg
wiring.jpg (10.3 KiB) Viewed 19218 times

proptech
Foreman
Foreman

Re: New Ceiling Light Wiring for Ceiling Rose - Advice Needed

by proptech » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:49 am

HI orsm

The two browns are permanent live, The blues are neutrals, and the black is the switched live.
The browns must remain together, and not connected to your light fitting. So, brown on the light fitting goes to the sleeved black, and blue with the two blue neutrals. Connect the earth as you have suggested.

orsm
Labourer
Labourer

by orsm » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:54 am

Thank you so much for the information, wires connected and lights are perfect !

orsm
Labourer
Labourer

by orsm » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:04 pm

Thanks for the reply, I have had a look at the other light fitting in the same room which runs off 1 light switch and there are more wires than the post above.
There are
2 Earth
3 Brown (live ?)
1 Blue with Brown sleeve (live ?)
1 Blue (neutral ?)
1 Grey with Blue sleeve (neutral ?)
1 Black with Brown sleeve (switched live)

Is it the same principal as the above post ?
2 Earth together connect with earth from light fixture
3 Brown wires and 1 Blue wire with brown sleeve tape off dont connect to light fixture
1 Blue and 1 Grey with Blue sleeve from ceiling connect together and connect to single blue from light fixture
1 Black with Brown sleeve (switched live) from ceiling connect to the Brown wire from light fixture.
Have I confused myself ?

Thanks for your Help
Attachments
photo (3).jpg
photo (3).jpg (26.09 KiB) Viewed 19196 times

proptech
Foreman
Foreman

by proptech » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:17 pm

As before the three browns are permanent live. The two with blue sleeves are the neutrals, and this time there are two switched lives both with brown sleeves. These go together with the brown of your new fitting.

orsm
Labourer
Labourer

by orsm » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:28 am

The ceiling light is not working after putting the wires together as suggested, before I took the old ceiling light down the new one i put up worked fine with the old one ( 2 ceiling lights one wall switch)
Now both are not working.

I put together the following wires

2 earth from ceiling to earth from light fixture
1 blue wire and 1 grey wire with blue sleeve from ceiling (NEUTRAL ?) to blue wire from light fixture
1 blue wire with brown sleeve with black wire from ceiling (SWITCHED LIVE ?) to brown wire from light fixture
all 3 brown wires from ceiling taped off single and not connected.

Thank you !
Attachments
New wiring (not working)
New wiring (not working)
JD.jpg (29.22 KiB) Viewed 19184 times
Ceiling wiring before
Ceiling wiring before
JD1.jpg (37.68 KiB) Viewed 19184 times

proptech
Foreman
Foreman

by proptech » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:09 pm

It sounds like the three reds that are the problem. They should be connected together, but not connected to anything else. In a proper terminal that is, not taped up.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:24 pm