New ceiling rose's = light always on
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
robstone79
Labourer
Labourer

New ceiling rose's = light always on

by robstone79 » Sat May 24, 2008 7:10 pm

Hi all,

Firstly I'd better point out I'm a novice with electrics. My skills stop at swapping plug sockets and in the past light fittings.

Yesterday I decided to replace 2 lights with new ceiling roses. They are in the lounge and there are 2 switches which turn both lights on and off together. However, I foolishly :oops: didn't take note of what cables went where as I thought I had it memorised and now both lights are on perminantly and the switches do nothing.

I had my farther in law out as he is pretty good with electrics and after a few hours he couldn't figure it out either. Both ceiling roses have 2 grey 3 wired cables (E/N/L). Ceiling rose A has a further 2 grey cable casings, which just have a red cable in the casing. Ceiling rose B has just one extra cable with just one cable in the grey casing. We have also checked the two light swtiches. The switch near ceiling rose A has a red live, black neutral and a single common cable. The switch by ceiling rose B has red/live, black/neutral and a red/black in the common.

I'm trying to locate a sparky to come and have a look but wondered if there is something I can try in the meantime that is safe and won't blow the fuse box. I do not have an amp reader either, just a screwdriver with the light in for live wires.

The fuse box is a trip switch box if that helps.

Cheers for any assistance.

ericmark

by ericmark » Sun May 25, 2008 1:44 am

Look at projects.
Normally the red line cables do not connect to the lamp.
Normally the black cable that is found in the switch is switched line not neutral.
So normally the lamp connects brown to single black normally with red sleeve and blue to the two blacks.

Note:- Both Line (red) and Neutral (black) are considered Live.

sparked
Apprentice
Apprentice

hello

by sparked » Wed May 28, 2008 7:38 pm

im in west midlands if you not done your light in bathroom ill have a look for you for free yes free no charge if you have then no worrys

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:05 pm