new central heating
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
orange70
Labourer
Labourer

new central heating

by orange70 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:36 pm

I have no central heating I have balance flues (think thats right) I would like to have central heating installed in my 2 bedroom mid terrace but I am worried about getting ripped off. I have seen a number of central heating packages which include the condensing boiler 7 radiators and all the copper pipe for around 1000 pounds and quotes for installation are also coming in at the same price. The thing that concerns me is that the plumber thinks that the equipment must me inferior quality although it is from makes such as Glow worm any advice would be greatly appreciated

DONFRAMAC
Ganger
Ganger

by DONFRAMAC » Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:51 am

My new 28 kw condensing combi is a cheap item made by a major firm which also markets a much better elite range at twice the price. One major factor is the condenser, which is made of high grade stainless-steel, contributing to a price-tag of £1500 retail/£1000 discount.
The cheaper ones make-do with aluminium, which cannot really tolerate the acidity of the condensate, so there is a major difference in warranty period, as well as price.
Often a small increase in warranty period just covers the cost of expected component renewals, not a suggestion of better quality/reliability.
Detail wording in the warranty clauses can hide a lack of enhanced cover.
I may be foolish, but I hope that consumable condensers will be cheap, but getting a plumber to do a small job can be very difficult, and spares won't stay available for long after the boiler becomes obsolete.

The Heating Doctor
Foreman
Foreman

by The Heating Doctor » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:28 am

Two things spring to mind, these are "if it looks too good to be true, it probably is" and "you get what you pay for".

Many of these adverts use the low cost in large type to hook you in, watch out for the hidden extras, by the time you add these on you may as well have gone to a local plumbers merchants and done a deal with them, Why? 1) they are closer. 2) if you over or under order it's easy to take back or get more. 3)they tend to deliver free of charge. 4)if something dont work it's easy to swap.

Remember if you are buying the materials any problems are between you and the supplier, the installer is only there to fit, you have to do all the running around. So if something is wrongly deliverd or not deliverd or is damaged, you have to sort it out and the installer will charge you to come back.

As for Glow worm I would not give there boilers away let alone sell them, there after sales service is a joke, and several of the current models have design problems. Quality boilers come with long warranty, such as Viessmann's up to 5 year parts and labour and 10 years on the heat exchanger.

orange70
Labourer
Labourer

how much

by orange70 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:05 am

So how much should I be paying since in the area I live in we appear to have comedians for installers. I have in the last two months been quoted £2500 in install a £1000 kitchen and £3500 pounds to install a bathroom and that didn't include a shower or any tilling or flooring. Is it not a case of if we could trust our installers we would not look on the internet

DONFRAMAC
Ganger
Ganger

by DONFRAMAC » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:48 pm

Plumbimg firms don't need to look for custom, can delay for 8 months, drop the job half-way through, etc, so you need to be very tight with cash advances, penalty clauses, etc.
Labour charges are about £25 + Vat/hour per man, and at least 4 days work, using 2 plumbers, one Corgi man for one day, and one electrician for one day.
80 man-hours x £25+17.5% Vat =£2350 , then add £500 to get a decent boiler, rather than those in " bargain-packs". Then add in the cost of the "bargain pack".
Not much change from 4.5 Grand , to attract a good firm to take you on, and not try your patience to breaking point.
An all-systems type shower/blender is about £200.
Get the firm to get the parts and don't let them start until they have all the parts. Good luck.

My combi installation is stalled, with plain water in the rads., incomplete masonry work around the old flue, and new one, no idea when the boiler will get flushed/rinsed/charged with doped water., and the floor-boards are in shards, and the plumber firm is just going to screw them down --- will creak for ever, so I have to find extra resources for a joiner and planks, rapid. The revel could put you in hospital.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1