New Combi Boiler - distance from gas supply & doors/wind
Information, help and advice on many gas related subjects from gas fires to domestic appliances

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
The Riviera Kid
Tradesman
Tradesman

New Combi Boiler - distance from gas supply & doors/wind

by The Riviera Kid » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:15 pm

Hi folks, sorry in advance if any of this available in posts elsewhere, my head is done in today.

We're going to install a downstairs shower room/wc at some point over the next couple of months. This should be straightforward as there's already a water supply and soil pipe in the space we wish to use.

While I'll be doing some of the work myself with help from friends in the trade (partition walls, door, basic plumbing, tiling etc), I will possibly need to relocate the old gas boiler (noisy, unreliable 20 year old myson apollo thing).

Two questions here really, one is assuming it's going to be a better idea to replace the boiler than move the old one, is there a regulation distance from the gas supply that the new combi boiler must be within?

Also I've heard that there's a regulation distance that the boiler must be from windows (although the old one is currently right next to a window). I'm assuming this is perhaps due to the chance of the lit boiler being blew out by a gust of wind perhaps? What is this distance?

Interestingly, there's a cupboard next to the front door which is about 1 metre from the gas supply. The cupboard is about 1m x 750mm and about 2.2m tall. Its currently used for coats and shoes. Could this cupboard potentially be used to house a new boiler, given it's got a door on, and reasonably decent ventilation?

Obviously I'm going to get a proper pucker Gas Safe engineer to fit the boiler, but it would be nice to be pre-armed with all of this information so I can plan the partitioned rooms size and shape.

Alternatively, if we kept the old boiler, it would have to be within the new shower room. Is this feasible if it was boxed off to some extent (allowing some ventilation, but largely preventing it from getting splashed)? I believe an extractor fan needs to be fitted to comply with building regulations, so it shouldn't be a particularly damp/steamy room (I think lol).

DEEARR2
Ganger
Ganger

by DEEARR2 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:30 pm

I would certainly replace the boiler as this boiler is no longer supported by the manufacturer and spares are like hens teeth.
There is no regulation as to how far from the meter the boiler is located, however, the gas supply pipework will have to be calculated taking in the length of run and the KW requirement of the boiler.(and any other gas appliance)
The boiler flue must be a minimum of 300mm away from an openable window or other opening, includung doors & vent bricks.
Although it is not recommended a room sealed boiler can be installed in a room with a shower or bath provided the electrical controls or the appliance cannot be touched by someone using the bath or shower. Ventilation should also be consdered here. Electrical aspect of this location must comply with IEE REGULATIONS.

The Riviera Kid
Tradesman
Tradesman

by The Riviera Kid » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:18 am

Hi and thanks DEEARR2.

A new boiler would likely be installed in the kitchen or the hall cupboard if it's within regulations.

We'd only consider having the boiler in the new shower room in the event we decided to keep the old boiler for a while (so we could save for the new boiler as opposed to putting it on a credit card). You mention a room sealed boiler, I'm sort of guessing the old Myson Apollo probably isn't one of these (although I stand to be corrected)?

ktitley
Apprentice
Apprentice

by ktitley » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:45 pm

sorry this is late and youve probly had the work done. your myson apollo is a room sealed boiler. also a replacement could go where the old one is but with a puming kit fitted to the new flue.

rayson1101
Labourer
Labourer

by rayson1101 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:23 am

This is great post. As I am reading this, I got an idea. I'm so happy I've went to this forum site.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:10 pm