New concrete problems
Post your questions and get answers regarding all areas of drives, pathways and patios

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
freccle
Labourer
Labourer

New concrete problems

Post by freccle » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:58 am

We've just paid quite a lot of money to have a small area re-concreted over for our dogs to run in. It was already old cracked concrete which was dug up and removed leaving mainly soil underneath
However now the concrete is dry, there are lots of small holes in it (possibly popped bubble holes?). When the dogs wee there, it will just go down the holes and start to smell very quickly. Also, around the edge it seems very lumpy - either the concrete was lumpy or the substrate is showing through. (No damp course was laid)
I'm going to call him back but will it be possible to put another thin layer of concrete on top or will that just crack? What should I expect him to do?
Should point out he was recommended and he has his own company do driveways and no he doesn't live in a caravan
:roll:
Thanks

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:55 pm

freccle,
Get the driveway man back and get it corrected - there should not be blow holes in the surface. Over-skimming is inherently defective because of the join. A rubble or type 1 base should have been laid before casting the concrete base.
end

freccle
Labourer
Labourer

Post by freccle » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:10 am

He's coming back today but not very happy about it :roll:
If he offers to skim it over, can a binding compound be used first? Would that help? I don't think I can face the whole lot being dug up and started again, even if he offers to do that

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:49 pm

freccle,
The chances of getting a good bond between the original layer and subsequent one is pretty remote. Sure it will stick in places but over time slabs of the surface layer will lift off.
Since it is a small area have it relayed if you get the offer.
end

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:28 am