New condensing boiler and single pipework
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
derek
Labourer
Labourer

New condensing boiler and single pipework

Post by derek » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:11 am

My existing (old) CH system uses a single pipework loop downstairs and a single pipework loop upstairs - ie the radiators are in series with the pipework rather than in parallel as modern systems. I am told that you cannot use this arrangement with the new high efficiency condensing boilers and that the pipework must be changed to a 2 pipework system (separate flow and return). I realise a 2 pipework system is more efficient, the radiators heat up more quickly and the system can be properly balanced. But do I have to change ... is this correct ... and if so, why ?

frogger
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by frogger » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:28 pm

To bring the system to current standards yes this should be done, but would still operate if left as a one pipe system

derek
Labourer
Labourer

Condensing boilers and single pipeworj

Post by derek » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:42 pm

Single pipework systems can be still be retained with some modern condensing boilers (always best to check with boiler manaufacturer), but to ensure boilers condense efficiently, the flow and return differential temperature must be 20 degrees (i.e 70 degrees flow 50 degrees return).
Should a single pipe system be used, this return differential cannot be guaranteed and the efficiency of the boiler could be adversely effected.

Best practice and boiler interlock under part L Building regs require a Programmer/Room stat and thermostatic radiator valves to be fitted for control of the boiler/reduced emissions.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1