New Consumer Unit Fitted
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

New Consumer Unit Fitted

by kbrownie » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:13 am

Hi,
My dad has recently had a consumer unit with RCD protection fitted, to replace an old out dated fuse box. He has had some problems with circiuts tripping out. The house is about 40 years old and to tell you the truth the original wiring does not seem to be of the highest standard. Is this a common accurance when new CCU's are fitted. I am currently taking my city in guildes at college and he has asked for my advice. This is something we have not yet covered and school is out so i am unable to ask for advice myself.
Any help would be appreciated.

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: New Consumer Unit Fitted

by BLAKEY1963 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:14 am

[quote="kbrownie"]Hi,
My dad has recently had a consumer unit with RCD protection fitted, to replace an old out dated fuse box. He has had some problems with circiuts tripping out. The house is about 40 years old and to tell you the truth the original wiring does not seem to be of the highest standard. Is this a common accurance when new CCU's are fitted. I am currently taking my city in guildes at college and he has asked for my advice. This is something we have not yet covered and school is out so i am unable to ask for advice myself.
Any help would be appreciated.[/quote]

KBROWNIE
APART FROM PART P, INSISTING ON NOTIFICATION ,
WHEN A MAINS BOARD IS CHANGED IT INVOLVES
RECORDING OF INFORMATION. THIS IS KNOWN AS
CERTIFICATION. YOUR PART P REGISTERED ELECTRICIAN
WHO CHANGED THIS MAINS BOARD , WOULD HAVE
FULLY TESTED YOUR WIRING THAT HE CONNECTED TO IT
AND RECORDED THE RESULTS ON AN ELECTRICAL
INSTALLATION CERTIFICATE.
IT IS ON THIS CERTIFICATE THAT COMMENTS ABOUT THE
WIRING WOULD HAVE BEEN MADE.
U SAY THE WIRING IS 40 YEARS OLD APPROX. ?
LOOK FOR RECOMMENDATIONS FOR ANY REMEADIAL WORK !
CONTACT THE ELECTRICIAN OTHERWISE IF CIRCUITS R
CONSTANTLY TRIPPING . HE HAS CERTIFIED WORK.
BLAKEY1963

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:54 pm

[quote="BLAKEY1963"][quote="kbrownie"]Hi,

KBROWNIE
BLAKEY1963[/quote]

BLAKEY1963

Thank's for infomation given, your a great help. I will inform my dad on what to do. May I ask you another question regarding. MCB and RCD. What effect, if any would happen if you had a circuit powering your ring main or radial on a 32 or 20 amp MCB respectively, then connected an additional sockets that was on it's own circiut to the same MCB?

mozzy
Labourer
Labourer

by mozzy » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:54 pm

[quote="kbrownie"]Hi,

hi mate - did your dad fit the consumer box himself? as i am thinking of doing my own,

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:10 pm

[quote="mozzy"][quote="kbrownie"]Hi,

hi mate - did your dad fit the consumer box himself? as i am thinking of doing my own,[/quote]

Hi Mozzy,
No he had a qualified sparky over to do it. He's not very good at stuff like that. I beleive you now have to have a part p certificated sparky to fit and test one.

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

by BLAKEY1963 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:06 pm

[quote="kbrownie"][quote="BLAKEY1963"][quote="kbrownie"]Hi,

KBROWNIE
BLAKEY1963[/quote]

BLAKEY1963

Thank's for infomation given, your a great help. I will inform my dad on what to do. May I ask you another question regarding. MCB and RCD. What effect, if any would happen if you had a circuit powering your ring main or radial on a 32 or 20 amp MCB respectively, then connected an additional sockets that was on it's own circiut to the same MCB?[/quote]

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:26 am