DIY Doctor

New consumer unit

Postby cliveh » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:58 pm

I am at present going for NICEIC registration and am fitting a consumer unit, the existing old (red/black) wiring is too short, is there a connection box for adding longer wires or can I put the 100 amp isolator in a seperate box outside the original consumer unit
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:50 pm


Simply Build It

Postby sparx » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:49 pm

It doesn't matter that you are 'going for Niceic registration' you are breaking the law by altering con.unit wiring, you must be Partp registered before doing this work.
Having said that,
If you mean to fit seperate isolator switch in an enclosure and add extra 'tails' or to use a double 'Henley block' to extend 'tails' either way you would be illegally either breaking cut out fuse seal to pull fuse or doing it 'live' which is more dangerous than people realise and against the law. take care,
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 2166
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:33 pm
Location: The fifth continent.

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics