New Double Glazing Replacing Older Aluminium Double Glazing Noisy!
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Hanna Barbera
Labourer
Labourer

New Double Glazing Replacing Older Aluminium Double Glazing Noisy!

by Hanna Barbera » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:20 pm

Can anyone give me some advice/info please.

I had new double glazing installed this week. The front of the house which are bedrooms are large bays. I previously had the old Aluminium double glazing which I believe was installed approx 30 yrs ago by previous owner. The old glazing also had decorative lead.

I installed A rated argon filled upvc windows. They look fantastic, I didn't have any lead as I hate it. BUT they are definitely letting in more street noise, traffic ect. How can this be?? I was considering acoustic glass but as my street is not particularly noisy other than weekend revellers I decided not to. Plus the salesman said the new windows as they were would reduce any noise more than the told ones.

The installers have come today and looked at them, they said they have been installed correctly.

Any ideas anyone? I don't really want to go with the expense of now adding secondary glazing, plus I think it's ugly.

The only difference I can see in the fitting is that the old ones butted up to the wall. ( its a bungalow so the wall is just a standard 9inch brick) the new ones had foam filled in between the windows and wall. Is this the cause of the extra noise?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: New Double Glazing Replacing Older Aluminium Double Glazing Noisy!

by welsh brickie » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:54 pm

the foam would deaden the noise, check to see if there is enough compression when you close the windows, check for any area that has not been sealed internally, close any trickle vents.

Hanna Barbera
Labourer
Labourer

Re: New Double Glazing Replacing Older Aluminium Double Glazing Noisy!

by Hanna Barbera » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:18 pm

Many Thanks. I didn't have trickle vents. Only two of the windows open in each room. These both seem very tight. I also checked everywhere outside for gaps in the trim.... found none.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:21 am