DIY Doctor

Main navigation

New Electical supply feed

Postby markroy » Mon May 17, 2010 2:54 pm


I wondered if some nice people reading this can help.

I hope to purchase a flat which has a basement. I want to split the flat in two. 100amp into two properties isn't really enough.

I wondered how much it costs and who I would need to contact for a new electric supply feed.

I am in scotland if that makes any difference.

Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 2:41 pm


Simply Build It

Postby ericmark » Mon May 17, 2010 11:53 pm

Your DNO is likely to be Scottish Power but with over 100A it needs you to request exactly what you want and the price can easy become silly.
It is unlikely that most houses will use more than 60A or at least unlikely they will blow a 60A fuse.
Supplies are normally 60, 80 or 100A most around the 80A and with 100A one can draw 160A for short time without blowing the fuse although it tends to weaken it and in the end it will blow.
If the supply is split for metering then likely they will down grade both fuses and in real terms only time it becomes a problem if off peak heating is used.
However since much depends on what the DNO has already to guess on cost is pointless. If to supply extra would mean they need to change transformer or cables then cost could be very high. But if all they need to do is fit a second fuse then much lower and only option is to talk to your supplier.
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 2619
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:49 pm
Location: Llanfair Caereinion, Mid Wales.

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics