New electrical installation - lots of questions
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
colinh1301
Labourer
Labourer

New electrical installation - lots of questions

by colinh1301 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:13 pm

I have recently purchased a small plot of land with an old stone barn. I'm in the process of renovating the barn (not converting – it will be used as a barn) and have just had the power company in running electrics to it. So far I have a meter, main fuse and 100A isolation switch fitted in an external meter box. The cable has been run to the barn from the pylon in a trench (approx 60m).

1. At some point work is going to be done on the roof and it will likely not be waterproof for some time. Can I have the consumer fitted in something waterproof? I was thinking of getting another meter box but would prefer something a bit more slim line.
2. I would like power to an area remote from the barn (approx 150m-200m away). Can I reuse the trench, which is still currently open, in which the cable the power into the barn is laid.
3. With a run of this length do I need to start worrying about anything above the normal considerations for running power to an outbuilding?

Cheers
Colin

ericmark

by ericmark » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:16 am

Water proof enclosures are available and how water proof is shown with an IP rating. IPX2 is most likely good enough “Protected against vertically falling water drops when enclosure tilted up to 15°. Vertically falling water drops shall have no harmful effect when the enclosure is tilted at any angle up to 15° from the verticalâ€

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:11 pm