New Extension and issues with building regs and electrics
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
kipper473
Labourer
Labourer

New Extension and issues with building regs and electrics

by kipper473 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:22 am

I have just had a new extension built and am in the process of getting quotes for the electrics and plastering.
I have been told by building Regs. that I cant get the ceiling plastered until I have the correct insulation fitted first but the problem is I have just had someone come to give me a price for the electrics and they say that they would need to fit the insulation do the electrics and plasterboard to the ceiling as they would need to cut out the holes for down lights.
The problem is the building regs wont sign the building off unless they see the insulation before the plasterboard goes up.
I have no idea about electrics or building regs so was wondering if this is normal and if so what can I do.
Thanks

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: New Extension and issues with building regs and electrics

by welsh brickie » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:25 pm

electrics are fitted first, then insulation, the downlighters need firecaps fitting in the insulation, then plasterboards and plaster, then the electricians come back for final fix

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: New Extension and issues with building regs and electrics

by ericmark » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:23 am

There is a problem cutting holes in a ceiling with insulation and today with LED lights there is no real need.

The old halogen down lights often will not comply with building regulations. There are many things against them from the 100 mm gap between lamp and any combustible material and the fire rating of plaster board with holes cut in it. Plus so often they look like a planetarium and simply don't light the room.

I think the GU10 has to have L2 fittings so you can't use tungsten lamps but this also means half the LED lamps will not fit either. Look at a 10 inch down lighter and a 2D florescent and one wonders why bother with down lighter.

For the 2" down lighter again you can now get LED surface lamps which look like down lighters but don't need a hole.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:54 pm