New Extension Lighting Problems
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
francomac
Labourer
Labourer

New Extension Lighting Problems

by francomac » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:33 pm

Hi guys looking for abit of help here. Im currently building a side extension onto my house. Just got to the stage of wiring up the lighting circuit. Im using a wylex 6a type B breaker with 2 core 1.5mm cabling.

Ive wired up the lights to a 4 terminal 20A junction box.Which I'm sending down to switch back up and into light. The lighting circuit itself is around 15-20 metres long. Heres the problem i have when connect into the board the 6a breaker keeps tripping. So i started fault finding and the wife was getting kinda pissed with the power on power off scenario so i connected the lights to some cabling and a plug and plugged the lights in temporary. When i did this the lights worked perfectly. circuit was complete and fine. So i went back to the board took my tails out of the 6a breaker and inserted into the spare 32a breaker i have in my board and again the lights worked perfectly.

To test if it was the new 6a breaker that was faulty i disconnected an existing light circuit that i know the breaker is working fine and still the breaker tripped.

In my circuit is only four lights and four switches so i can't see why the 6a breaker should be tripping.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I'm totally bamboozled.

Cheers

Frank

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: New Extension Lighting Problems

by stoneyboy » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:21 pm

francomac,
If the mcb is tripping without the lights on then there is wiring fault. If all your cable runs are unbroken between the junction box, switches and lights then have a check on the wiring in the junction box. Also check you haven't put a nail or screw through the cables.
end

francomac
Labourer
Labourer

Re: New Extension Lighting Problems

by francomac » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:31 pm

all the cable runs were complete no nails etc..
i moved the 6a breaker to the other side of the board and it all works well for now.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:22 am