New extractor fan install
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
fishface
Labourer
Labourer

New extractor fan install

Post by fishface » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:19 am

Hi, hope you can help.

I want to install an extractor fan in my new bathroom. There is a space on my consumer unit which I am wondering if I can wire my light switch and fan into, and avoid a fused switch somewhere. Is this possible? If the trip switch is rated at more than the recommended 5A for the fan, can I buy a replacement to reduce it?

Also, the instructions for the fan state that the cable should be maximum 1mm. Can this go straight to the consumer unit?

Thanks in advance.

moggy1968
Ganger
Ganger

Post by moggy1968 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:13 pm

Because this work is in a 'special location' it is notifiable under part p. Because you are thinking of tracing the circuit back to the consumer unit this is also notifiable.
This is a very unconventional way of wiring a fan, it would normally be taken straight from the lighting circuit, the exact method depending on the type of fan being used (time delay or not)
to be brutally honest, and this won't be what you want to hear, you shouldn't be doing this. if you do you have to notify building control before you start in order to get the work registered. they will come out to inspect your plans and the work in progress, and charge you for the priveledge, and will probably rip you to bits because, judging by your questions, you don't really have the qualifications, experience or knowledge of the rewuired regulations to do this work.
It would probably be cheaper in the long run, and safer, and produce a better result to get a spark in.
sorry, but thats my honest assessment

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:24 am