New fireplace insert question
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
chromey
Labourer
Labourer

New fireplace insert question

by chromey » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:09 pm

I'm installing a new cast iron insert into and existing fireplace opening in a Victorian house. I want to use the same wooden fire surround and mantle which are already there.

After removing the wooden surround I can either...
a. fit the iron insert against the chimney wall brickwork. This would leave a gap (60mm approx) between the inside leg of the wooden surround and the front of the insert, which I guess I could make good with wood shims and paint, or...
b. I could bring the iron insert forward away from the existing brick work so its against inside leg of the wooden surround. This would then leave the 60mm gap between the existing chimney masonry and the iron fire insert. If I do this do I need to bridge the gap with brickwork/blockwork or is their an easier/better solution?

I ask because when I had an installer fit an insert in a similar fireplace he went for the second option and made up the gap with expanded metal lath (Expamet I think?) which was wrapped in what seemed like mineral wool insulation. But I can't quite remember how he did it...

Any tips much appreciated.

Incidentally, I assume I dont need to be a HETAS installer to do this work?

Thanks.

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Help from DIY Doctor!

by TheDoctor4 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:48 pm

Let DIY Doctor help you to find quotes from vetted and trusted tradesman local to your area. Visit our Find a Tradesman page: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:01 pm