New flat appears to have a damp problem?
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
crlewis
Apprentice
Apprentice

New flat appears to have a damp problem?

by crlewis » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:50 pm

I have just moved into a downstairs flat and there appears to be some kind of damp problem.

The bedroom is the main problem, the bedding appears to get damp for no reason. The floor rug also is getting damp, the exterior wall also seems to be slightly damp. We do open the windows in the day time but there seems to be no difference. I checked the room with a hygrometer and it reads to be around 68-70%, is this reading ok?

I was considering a dehumidifier, but if there is a damp problem it will be defeating the object.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated..

malcia
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: New flat appears to have a damp problem?

by malcia » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:58 am

Clearly a condensation problem: You need first to de-humidify and then to make sure there is adequate ventilation and air circulation - air bricks and window vents might be the answer if you do not want security issues with open windows and doors.

crlewis
Apprentice
Apprentice

by crlewis » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:24 pm

I hope it is a condensation problem. But like I said we leave the windows open regularly so there's plenty of circulation. Never had this type of problem before in other properties.

I also thought that if you did have condensation problems the windows would mist up, but they don't on this property..

crlewis
Apprentice
Apprentice

by crlewis » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:51 pm

Is it possible that the woods that are located at the rear of the flats may be the cause of the problem? I have taken some humidity readings and they are on the high side, 95% on damp days and around 80% on fine days.

If I leave the windows open to prevent condensation, surely the humidity will increase on the interior? so dont know whether to keep the windows open or shut?

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:55 pm