New Front Door
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bug
Apprentice
Apprentice

New Front Door

by bug » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:39 pm

Hi,

I am awaiting a builder neighbour to quote me on replacing my rotten front door and wondering if i should get other quotes too at risk of insulting him.

What would be a reasonable or regular price for supplying and fitting either a new wooden front door or a UPVC one? I think the frame may need some work done to it too as also compromised in the bottom corner.

I know they will vary but i am thinking £1k should be more than enough but i really dont know and so just after some ballparks so i know i am not being ripped off or am getting a good deal, never had this kind of work done before.

Natalie

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

New Front Door

by Steve the gas » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:41 am

Natalie, yes, get at least 3 quotes-- always best policy. If your embarrassed that he will know tell him your friends or family badgered you into getting more quotes. A budget price [b]less[/b] for upvc but say £600 and £700 for hardwood and frame.
Take care Steve

stevenc1603
Ganger
Ganger

by stevenc1603 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:55 am

Always get at least 3 quotes. He should know that is normal, regardless of the fact you are neighbours.

He should only be worried if his pricing is too high.

bug
Apprentice
Apprentice

by bug » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:29 pm

Hi ya

Have requested some more quotations now thanks. A guy was supposed to come round Tues night but didnt make it, have one Thursday and Saturday now with the neighbour still.

Looking forward to getting that rotten pesky thing done!

Natalie

bug
Apprentice
Apprentice

by bug » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:15 pm

Hi,

For info for others too;

Company 1;
UPVC door £725
Composite door £883 (Beautiful bevelled armoured glass and wood effect finish)

Company 2;
UPVC door 1 £900
UPVC door 2 £980 (glass is stained or bevelled)

Neighbour;

Hardwood door 1 £tbc Glazed arch above door
Hardwood door 2 £tbc If possible same style as composite

My current favourite is the composite although its quite expensive and salesguy wouldnt drop a bit. I dont think the hardwood would be available in same style as the glass would likely be too weak.

I think the compsite is worth the extra money, supposed to be far stonger than the UPVC one and the large area of glass really lights up the hallway compared to the current door, aaaagh i hate descisions like this, not as if i have lots of money as it is plus 'discovered' the building flaw i mentioned in another post.

Nat.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:43 am