DIY Doctor

New garage consumeer unit unit help please

Postby alf1970 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:13 am

Hello my main CU unit is a crabtree 80A RCCB 30mA2 pole BS 4293 type SB6000 it has 2 spare slots
I also have a spare 32amp mcb
As I can’t seem to buy a larger fuse bigger than a 32 amp
My question is can I run a 6mm SWA cable from this 32amp
To this unit from the screw fix unit below

British general 5- module 3 way populated garage ( 1926G )

Please note I’m installing the unit at other end of my bungalow inside !
Then run 5 outdoor garden sockets of the 32amp
And run 6 led fence lights off the 6amp
My other question is the 32amp mcb on my main CU
Good enough to run 6mm SWA cable to the screw fix unit
Been told to buy a 63amp for my CU but cannot buy any bigger than the 32 amp !
cheers alf
PS I HOPE THIS FORUM STANDS BY ITS NAME ( DIY)
NO RIDDLES IN WHAT I CAN AND CANNOT NOT DO
SORRY FOR BEING BLUNT BEEN ON OTHER FORUMS
HOPE I CAN MENTION AS TO NO DOUBT MANY COME AND GO INTO MANY OF THESE SITES ULTIRMATE HANDYMAN
ITS A HANDYMAN FORUM ASK A QUESTION YOU GET A NEGATIVE RESPONCE THESE ARE DIY FORUMS
WE CAN ALL DO ELECTRICAL WORK SAFELY !
NO MATTER WHAT YOU SAY WE CANNOT DO WE ALL GO AHEAD AND DO IT BUT ALWAYS GOOD TO GET THAT LITTLE ADVICE
WE ALL KNOW YOU SPARKS ECT HATE US DIY DOING THESE JOBS AS IT TAKE AWAY YOUR INCOME AFTER BEING QUOTED TWICE BY 2 SPARKS OVER £1800 GOT ALL THE STUFF MYSELF FOR UNDER £800 JUST NEED THAT EXTRA ADIVCE ON MY CU
OH MY 3d SPARK PHONED ME BACK THE JOB WAS TO BIG FOR HIM IM 60+ HE WAS AROUD 30 OH SORRY FOR THE CAPS STARTING WRITING THEN NOTICED I LEFT THEM ON NO WAY IM WRITING THIS AGAIN
( P.S I HOPE SOMEONE ELSE ITS IN HERE IF YOU ARE DONT REPLY !
alf1970
Progress to next rank:
5.3%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby Mr White » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:42 pm

In England and Wales there is a law called Part P In short it means you can not do what you are asking, also the advice you have been given is wrong.
If you had problems with a light switch or if you wanted to add a socket in the house, I for one would be happy to help, but I am not willing to help you break the law.

Also typing in capital is considered to be SHOUTING.
Mr White
Progress to next rank:
80.8%

Postby alf1970 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:55 pm

look these forums years gone by were great but now we have
ammm ? everyone wants to criticise every one diy ers cannot do anything
i`m i right or not if so you all go on and on part P this and reg which we all no by now as it is rammed down our throats daily
now calm down all
ok your right but then WRONG
once again i mention this site ( DIY DOCTOR ) are you getting me now !
so why or why do you have a sub forum electrics take it out
you have to remove it
as it goes against your views in helping
meaning you have to be a fully qualified electrician to use this forum
CORRECT !
cant not believe all these site I enter all the same all talk no help
whos using this site professionals ! take the DIY out !
alf1970
Progress to next rank:
5.3%

Postby ericmark » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:46 pm

Blagdon did a system to get around the Part P law, you are allowed to install a pre-wired system.

But to be safe you need test equipment and more to point pay the local authority building control LABC £100 plus vat in Wales, may be different in England. But although there is an option to DIY it works out so expensive, it is really not worth doing.

I tried and they (the LABC) wanted me to pay of a third party inspector, and see all my qualifications before letting me start. My son said if you want us to pay for an inspector, he needs to be equal or higher qualified to me, and I have a degree, and they did in the end back down and allow me to do own inspection and testing, but it was clear unless you are qualified you will not be permitted to do your own inspecting and testing, so you will likely need to pay over £200 to be allowed to DIY.

If you don't have test gear then likely to hire around £100 per week.

So not worth doing any small job.
ericmark

Postby thedoctor » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:41 am

Hi

In response to your post, Mr White is exactly right in what he is saying, unfortunately what you are proposing to do is Part P notifiable work e.g. can only be done by a Part P registered electrician, that's the law.

Of course we could all advise exactly what you need to do to complete the work, but this would be highly unethical as, as Mr White points out, we would be helping you to break the law, hence the reason why no responsible electrician will advise you.

In terms of your comments about our forum and the electrics sub forum, not all electrical work is Part P notifiable so this and indeed many other forums exist to help users with questions about electrical work that can be done on a DIY basis

Kind Regards
thedoctor

Postby ericmark » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:56 am

I look at all stuff for £800 and sparks want £1800 and think both seem rather high to fit a consumer unit, something missed in the telling I think.

As @thedoctor says Part P England and Wales and the Warrant system in Scotland limits what we can DIY, not quite correct in theory you can register the work with the LABC pay their fees and DIY and they inspect the work, however the LABC charges often means it costs more that way than to use a scheme member electrician.

And after my run in with the LABC inspector when doing a wet room, decided worth having a scheme member electrician do the rewire of house.

The big problem with LABC inspectors is they are allowed 2 weeks to visit the site between each stage, which can mean 2 weeks without electricity although unlikely, but a job which will take a scheme member a day can drag on to 5 days if using the LABC inspector route, and most of us need electric for fridge/freezer restored within 3 hours, so unless unoccupied then no real option but use a scheme member.

Don't blame us, we did not make the law. To be a scheme member costs the electrician around £2000 a year, so he has to charge more than a non scheme member, OK £70 per week if doing all domestic work is not too bad, but no Part P for commercial so if 50/50 then looking at £35 per job extra to cover scheme membership, but to pay LABC it is £200 per job, so a scheme member can do the job around £165 cheaper to a non scheme member, in England you need to be a scheme member for consumer units, new circuits, and bathrooms only, Wales is more strict, so many electricians who do mixed domestic/commercial just don't do any domestic work needed a compliance or completion certificate.
ericmark

Postby alf1970 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:34 pm

hello all
ok I totally understand your possession on this matter
NO DIY IN THIS FORUM
ok for me to say what i will do !
I have 3 options

opition1
from main CU from a 32A mcb run a 4mm SWA to shed
using earthing glands both ends just to work light and perhaps 2 double sockets
then from main CU from A 6A mcb running 1.5mm T&E
to a Wiseman remote receiver to run
fence lights and water feature

option 2
from main CU run 6mm SWA from this 32A MCB to a new garage unit at rear of house ( inside ) from garage unit then run the 2,5mm to shed then run 1.5mm cable to the Wiseman receiver to work the fence lights water feature keeping in mind using earth glands where needed

option 3
well read a few other posts some say no need for a CU in shed
if just running 2 sockets use FSU to work light
so can just run 4mm or 2.5mm direct to shed
of the 32A mcb
run 1.5mm to the wiseman unit

sorry my plans may change again who knows ?
safety shall be my priority as always in my jobs

what you should be saying to those seeking advice is
this is what you should be doing in cable sizes etc., and mcb`s
then inform them its against the law to do this work ( DIY FORUM )

so funny reading so many of these posts guys asking for advice to do
electrical work then being knock back down to earth with the negatives in this forums YOU CANT DO THAT !
I'm telling you all we diyer will not listen to you
perhaps 99% of all those asking for advice have gone ahead with the work they have asked for without your help

IT`S BETTER TO GIVE ADIVICE
THAN NOT TO GIVE IT
I`M ASKING

sorry for going on but i was a dunce at school hated school leant more out than I ever did in fact
I taught myself the ABC at 14 !
being none stopped teased up till my early 20`s but it didn't bother me
I always slow at school work i now laugh at my mates of past they were top of they class far brainy than me
but how the tables have turned
built houses from the foundation up leant plumbing carpentry
stone mason roofing tiling well you name I can do it

oh and the funniest thing to happen in my ln fantastic life
one teacher always loved to slipper me
not because i was naughty but my school work was so slow every week perhaps that why i hated school so much
but I employed a laborer 25 + year ago
over the phone word of mouth he needed work
I cant swear but you will know what I'm about to say **** ** it was my teacher so so wired but what great friends we became
but found it so hard that I hat to ordered him around and constantly tell him what to do
I was forever bending down in front of him
for a week or so did not let on I knew who he was
and insisted he called me SIR at all times

( ALL THIS WITH NO QUALIFICATIONS ! )
alf1970
Progress to next rank:
5.3%

Postby ericmark » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:19 am

When I tried to help some one to wire a ceiling light when they had not made a note of the wiring I was banned from this forum.

At the time I was rather miffed as only trying to help, and latter I was allowed back in, however what you must remember we may be talking to you, but anyone can read the posts and try to do the same, and could hurt them selves, so we have to be careful what we put in any forum.

As you say in England (Not Wales) you can fit a FCU to the ring final run some 2.5 mm to a out building and use a switched FCU for the light switch and a couple of sockets and there is no requirement to register the work.

If you consider a caravan you have 25 meters of 2.5 mm flex which runs everything in the caravan, OK a FCU is 13A and caravan 16A but point is you need no qualifications to be allowed to wire the caravan site and the caravan, there are health and safety laws which mean you could end up in court if you get it wrong, but no need to pay the LABC their fees. It does seem rather daft.

However fitting a couple of FCU and cable to wire a shed is hardly going to cost £1800 so your missing something, hence why I am nervous trying to give advice.
ericmark

Postby alf1970 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:45 am

well a little shocked that you were banned
but not your fault no one had listened to what you explaining
gone beyond wiring ceiling lights
A few years back I run a 6mm SWA to a shed installed a garage CU
6A mcb and 32A mcb earth glands fitted to SWA
I'm very aware of the dangers of electric !
power off make connection correctly
double, triple, check than power back on
what more can anyone do

( but I now know why knowing is given any advice in these forums
the smallest job I can think of is wiring a socket
2 or 3 wires
but you can not advise anyone how to fit one !
if that's not DIY what is !

I LISTEN AND LISTEN WELL

well I cant ask any more than I have asked
thanks for all your time in this matter
alf1970
Progress to next rank:
5.3%

Postby alf1970 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:20 am

alf1970 wrote:well a little shocked that you were banned
but not your fault no one had listened to what you explaining
gone beyond wiring ceiling lights
A few years back I run a 6mm SWA to a shed installed a garage CU
6A mcb and 32A mcb earth glands fitted to SWA
I'm very aware of the dangers of electric !
power off make connection correctly
double, triple, check than power back on
what more can anyone do

( but I now know why knowing is given any advice in these forums
the smallest job I can think of is wiring a plug
2 or 3 wires
but you can not advise anyone how to fit one !
if that's not DIY what is !

I LISTEN AND LISTEN WELL

well I cant ask any more than I have asked
thanks for all your time in this matter
alf1970
Progress to next rank:
5.3%

Postby alf1970 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:26 am

Sorry ericmafk I'm in bed and my glasses off off I meat A Plug !!!
alf1970
Progress to next rank:
5.3%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!