New gas fire concerns as surround gets very hot
Information, help and advice on many gas related subjects from gas fires to domestic appliances

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Oldalex01
Apprentice
Apprentice

New gas fire concerns as surround gets very hot

Post by Oldalex01 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:40 am

Hi forum members,
I would be grateful for any advice regarding the concerns I have for a new gas fire which I have recently had installed.
The new fire is a Valour True Flame which has replaced a Valour Adorn. The latter has given many years of excellent service and it was for this reason I chose the same manufacturers product.
My concern is that the metal frame of the fire gets extremely hot as does the marble surrounds to such an extent that I feel obliged to switch the fire off because if the marble suffered a crack the consequences to my living room would be horrific.
I have been in touch with the customer services of Valour. They told me to get the installer to check the fire ratings, The gas engineer assures me that the housing meets the necessary requirements, the same housing by the way which was used for the Valour Adorn and worked well for twenty years.
The question I would like to ask the forum members is has any one experienced similar concerns or suffered actual cracked marble surrounds and what should my next move be.
The Valour Adorn frame never got more than mildly warm even when it was on full for a long period.
Regards Alexander

thedoctor

Re: New gas fire concerns as surround gets very hot

Post by thedoctor » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:37 pm

Hi, I'm not entirely sure what you are actually asking here? Are you concerned that your marble may crack in the heat of the surround (Which many do as marble, despite it looking totally unblemished) is very often formed with invisible, hairline cracks. These cracks imperceptably divide the marble effectively into segments of differing sizes, all of which are expanding and contracting as the marble heats and cools. As the segments are on differing sizes, they expand and contract at different rates which increases the size of each crack until it becomes visible.

Or are you concerned about how to fill the cracks if they are visible?

If this is the case then an epoxy repair putty is you answer and Ive linked to one below. Good luck and do let us know how you get on.

https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/DIY-superst ... y-48g.html

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:34 pm