New gate keeping me awake at night! Loose latch!
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Gregzilla75
Labourer
Labourer

New gate keeping me awake at night! Loose latch!

Post by Gregzilla75 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:05 pm

Hi, paid for someone to cut a new gate into my fence as I needed an additional access point - they cut through and added a hinge to part of the fence on one side, planted a post on other side with a little latch. All fine but last night there was a bit of wind and the gate made a racket all night - my bedroom is right next to it. I think it's the rattling around the latch making the noise as it rocks to and fro with the metal clanging together. As someone with zero DIY skills I have temporarily stuck a pencil through the hole to stop the 'trigger', for want of a better word, banging about, and tightened it up with an old shoelace! Hopefully this will dampen the noise tonight but it renders the gate useless.

Can anyone recommend a new latch or bolt, preferrably from B&Q or Screwfix, that will be a lot quieter if I use it to replace the current one?

I thought about asking the original tradesman about it but I guess he's done what was asked of him so not his problem. Out of interest, was £200 a fair price for the service (there was also a bit of a hedge in the way as well that had to be removed)?

Please see photo for reference.

Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: New gate keeping me awake at night! Loose latch!

Post by stoneyboy » Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:01 pm

Hi gregzilla75,
Try a spring loaded animal bolt, you will have to drill a recess for the bolt to fit into but otherwise it’s just screwed in place.
Looks you you used to have a nice fence!
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:16 am