All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
marksp2007
Labourer
Labourer

New House - New System ??

by marksp2007 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:30 am

Hi all,

I have just moved house and would like a bit of advice..I have a broad range of plumbing skills bar Gas but am getting a little stuck on a new project and would like to know the results of anyone else in my shoes or just general advice.

New house has a standard system consisting of an old Potterton Kingfisher boiler with old copper cylinder and main and header tanks in loft. We are looking to replace (dark green) bathroom and wondered what is the best way to go. Combi boiler to increase size of bathroom (as HWT is housed in the cupboard that eats into part of bathroom) or leave the system as it is as we are also planning on an ensuite shower room.

My question really surrounds the additional ensuite we are planning in main bedroom in that I know certain combi based situations struggle with the additional demands of another bathroom, as in my old house that lost pressure in the shower (MIXER) when other house taps were on. From other posts perhaps we should have gone with an Electric Shower off the mains....but hey ho...

Also, IF we keep with a standard system should we ditch the kingfisher as we were looking to move the site of the boiler anyway as its an exposed eyesore in the corner of the kitchen on clay tiles...?

Thoughts or further clarifcation welcome ???

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:26 pm

Defo a system boiler with stored hot water for more than one bathroom. A combi won't hack it - or rather it will but with limitations which will vry from mild to severe depending on the irritation factor at the time.

If you are rejigging kitchen and bathroom and adding an ensuite in the same timescale bite the bullet and replace ye olde Kingfisher.

Cheers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:40 pm