New Ikea Light Tripping on Switch off
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mcalindeng
Labourer
Labourer

New Ikea Light Tripping on Switch off

by mcalindeng » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:09 pm

Afternoon folks,

I renovating a spare room and swapping out the ceiling rose. Either the fuse trips instantly or when lighting off the light. I have tried every combination possible and can not figure this one.

There is no spot of earth on the rose so leaving these loose while trying to sort it.

Any aid would be great, thank you kindly.
Attachments
light two.jpg
light one.jpg

chriscba
Ganger
Ganger

Re: New Ikea Light Tripping on Switch off

by chriscba » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:58 pm

Are you sure its wired up the same as you disconnected it, it looks like there is a straight short with live to neutral together

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:31 pm

You obviously did not take a picture before you took the previous light fitting down. I suggest next time you do, and mark the wires and check the picture as you are lucky this time.

You have connected the supply directly to the switch, so when you operate the switch you are not turning the light off, you are turning the switch on which puts a direct short circuit across the supply which is why the MCB trips.

You need more connector block.
The two reds should be connected to each other (Nothing else)
The two earths (green and yellow) should be connected to each other (Nothing else)
The light is then connected across the two blacks.
(The black from the switch ideally should have red sleeving to indicate it is switched live)

Also as I first said, next time, mark the cables and take a picture or two before you do anything else.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:56 pm

I agree with all Mr White has said, follow his advice.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:02 pm