new light fitting help requested
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
scotmarc
Labourer
Labourer

new light fitting help requested

by scotmarc » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:03 pm

hello there

i was replacing a light fitting in a bedroom and accidently wired it up incorrectly.i have now rectified the wiring and the light switches on and off fine however the rest of the upstairs lights are not working.

i believe i caused a short circuit but the mcb did not switch over.i have a tenby consumer unit.

is it just a matter of changing the mcb,if so how do i do that,or i have caused more serious damage.

any help greatly appreciated thanks

ericmark

by ericmark » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:03 am

More likely to be a problem with wiring at lamp.

scotmarc
Labourer
Labourer

by scotmarc » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:52 pm

ive removed the lamp completely and the upstairs lights still do not work.i went into the loft and al i could see was the original cable with live earth and neutral.i cannot see another elusive wire.the property was built around 2003.

any suggestions?

thanks again

ericmark

by ericmark » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:52 pm

Look at http://www.ericmark.talktalk.net/lights.bmp this may explain to you how they are wired and then ask any further questions.

TOPSPARK
Ganger
Ganger

by TOPSPARK » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:31 pm

Sounds to me in your description you have lost a live and neutral feed to the rest of your upstairs lights. the only suggestion i can give is go in the loft and take a cable from the light that is working to another of the lights on the circuit then connect these up and put lighting circuit back on and then try lights upstairs and see if they are working.
regards
Topspark

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:03 am