New loft insulation or rewiring first?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Pat2009
Apprentice
Apprentice

New loft insulation or rewiring first?

by Pat2009 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:17 pm

Hi - first post!

I plan to have my loft insulated and the house rewired, and am wondering which should be done first. You can tell I'm not a DIY-er, much less a skilled person :)

Is the rewiring done first, and the cabling clipped to the joists as it is now? If so, the new insulation will cover the cabling. How do you protect the cabling against fire? Or should the insulation be done first, making it necessary to mark the cabling routes somehow?

Thanks for your advice!

Pat

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:47 pm

Get the wiring done first and make sure your installer is fully aware of the depth of insulation you intend adding. If you get a quote make sure the proposal to sdd insulation is acknowledged in the quote.
end

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:22 am

Hi
Special calculation are made for cables that run/route straight through thermal insulation and this calculation will effect the cable size.
It would be easier for your electrician to re-wire without insulation there (By no means impossible). In form your electrician what you intend to do, if he places the cable so it can lay above insulation or is not covered by it, it will be okay. If cable is installed through insulation a larger cross sectional cable will be needed to take the heating effect in to consideration.
Regards
KB

Pat2009
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Pat2009 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:16 pm

Thanks for the replies, they're very helpful, much appreciated.

Cheers.

Pat

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:48 pm