4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Boycie
Labourer
Labourer

New Megaflo and Worcester Boiler and cold taps runs warm

by Boycie » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:08 am

Hi,

Ive posted this on the heating forum as well I wasnt sure on the correct place

I am looking for some help. We recently (3 months ago) had a megaflo and Worcester Greenstar boiler fitted. Pressure on all taps is good but recently and it seems to be getting worse the cold taps upstairs initially run cold for say 20 secs and then have a period of running very warm for say 20 secs before going back to cold. They are never cold cold but seem to have periodic 2 sec flows where the water warms slightly. Its seems to be getting worse with the 20 secs warm burst getting a little hotter each day and the periodic warm blasts more frequent.

Any suggestions as I am worried it might be dangerous

Thanks

stuart_craigon2003
Tradesman
Tradesman

by stuart_craigon2003 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:37 am

I'm not a plumber but here's what i say!:

Nah, not a problem. Its just the install, the hot and cold water pipes are touching in places in the house and the hot water pipe is transferring the heat to the cold.

I had this problem in a hotel i used to own and yes it did get gradually worse and worse but it was more a case of was the boiler on? and it was generally worse during the winter months although it was diagnosed by a commercial plumber as the DHW pipes touching the cold ones in 7 or 8 places in that part of the hotel. Nowt you can do about it unless you want to spend a three figure sum having the walls ripped to bits to get the pipes to part company! Not worth it in my case!

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:23 pm

[quote]Nowt you can do about it unless you want to spend a three figure sum having the walls ripped to bits to get the pipes to part company![/quote]

i wouldn't entirely agree. if it's been improperly installed then it should cost nothing to get it put right.

certainly your explanation makes sense and would suggest and less than satisfactory install. if only done three months ago i'd be inclined to get the installers back to take a look.

of course it might mean that you decide it's not worth the effort if does mean floors have to come up or walls have to be chopped about.

but i'd certainly give your installers a call.

stuart_craigon2003
Tradesman
Tradesman

by stuart_craigon2003 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:54 pm

agree totaly. My problem was that my system was 20 years old!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:49 am