New Outdoor Installation Question After Consumer Unit Change
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
MickWUK1
Apprentice
Apprentice

New Outdoor Installation Question After Consumer Unit Change

by MickWUK1 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:34 pm

I have just had a consmer unit changed outdoors (to supply a set of garages). The electrician was Stroma registered.

The armoured cable from the consumer unit to the garages is buried underground in a rubber conduit/sheathing (not sure of the correct term). This has been left open at both ends and rainwater will inevitably run in and leave the armoured cable sitting in water. Is this ok? I would have expected the ends to be sealed (silicone mastic?) or be indoors somewhere.

Thanks in advance.
Cable.jpg

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: New Outdoor Installation Question After Consumer Unit Change

by Mr White » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:48 pm

The first question is who installed the conduit?

Ideally, the start and end should not be "exposed to the elements" Not because of the cable, but because it will over time fill with water. (Sealing it, will be of little or no use since the air inside will condense and still fill the conduit with water)

SWA cable does not actually need conduit, it can be buried directly in the ground.

MickWUK1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: New Outdoor Installation Question After Consumer Unit Change

by MickWUK1 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:34 pm

Thank you Mr White. The conduit was already in place from many years ago. It was then used recently by the electrician that replaced the consumer unit.

If the cable can be buried without a conduit, can I assume that it is ok to be sitting in water? Not ideal I guess but is it a problem?

I am chasing the installer because we have not been issued with a certificate and I dont know if the local authority was informed.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:45 am