New Oven and Hob
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
syndicate47
Labourer
Labourer

New Oven and Hob

by syndicate47 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:58 pm

Hi,

Sorry if this has been posted before but I wanted to ask the question to make sure I fully understand what I am trying to do.

I have a new single oven and ceramic hob that I am installing into a new kitchen

Oven - Rated 2.8kw
Hob - Rated 6.5Kw

The wiring to the kitchen isn't exactley new but there is a 6mm feed coming in from the main fuse board in the garage (30A old style wire fuse). Distance looks about 15mtrs give or take.

When I took the old oven and hob out I found both were feed from this circuit via a junction box. Now I know this wasn't great and I'll curse my old man for doing it but he's no longer here to shout at!

I want to get this new stuff in correctly and this is my plan. The 6mm feed now runs into a cooker switch in the kitchen wall (this also has a socket on for kettle, toaster type stuff). Out of the switch I have 2mtr worth of 10mm running to a 30A junction box (not sure why I ran in 10mm but I thought this would be best, plus I didn't realise the feed was 6mm until I got home with the 10mm). At the moment the oven is then connected to the Junction box via it's supplied 2.5mm flex and is working fine.

So the question is how do I hook up the Hob safely and without having to rip out chased in cables in my new kitchen.. Options are:

1. Hook into the 30A Junction box and run both oven / hob and socket off the single circuit
2. Remove the oven and find another circuit to power it off(can be done). Then attach Hob to Junction Box. This will then mean I have the hob on the cooker switch but that's ok, just need to know if I can use the kettle when the hobs are on?

With both of these options where do I need to fit breakers? Should I just replace the wired fuse at the board with a breaker? You can buy these to fit old style boards I believe.

Any help would be great.

ericmark

by ericmark » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:12 pm

In real terms there should be no problem with hob, oven and kettle of a 6mm cable feed from a 32 amp supply but you will need to fuse down the supply to oven with a fused spur.
Although if we add the 2.8kw for kettle, 2.8kw oven and 6.5kw hob it is 52.5amps you are very unlikely to run all rings and oven and kettle at the same time and even if you do worse it can do is blow a fuse. So it should be OK.

But if one wanted to get pedantic there are all sorts of objections that could be raised. And since it is a kitchen and comes under Part P ask the electrician first as he will need to sign paper work and if I tell you its OK and he says no he wins as he signs the sheets.

syndicate47
Labourer
Labourer

by syndicate47 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:01 pm

I chatted this through with a couple of sparks that are working at my office. Pretty much got the same reponce although the spur for the oven wasn't mentioned so thanks for raising that.

Aware of the Part P regs too and will be getting the right paperwork to back this up.

Thanks for replying.

ericmark

by ericmark » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:34 pm

I finally found manufactures instructions on Screwfix web site. It says “The cooker must be connected to the mains by a switched (double pole) cooker outlet correctly fused with a capacity appropriate to that shown on the hob rating plate.â€

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:01 am