New Paint Flaking
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

New Paint Flaking

by kbrownie » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:45 pm

Hi all,
Decorating not my thing, leave it her who must be obeyed!
Problem is that it seems the new paint work is flaking away from wall. This area is about 7 foot from finished floor level and about 2 foot square area. There is no signs of damp cold or spots. The room above has no problems. I did remove an extractor fan and brick up both skins render and plaster. But this hole was about a meter away and lower down the wall. Nearest pipe work that is above this area is over 4 meters to the side, so non behind or directly above.
Have removed paint and repainted it and happened again within days.
Anyone got and idea?
KB

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:59 pm

kbrownie,
Assuming you are using emulsion paint suggest you go over the troublesome area with oil based matt finish paint (eg undercoat) then reapply the emulsion.
end

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:52 pm

Is it new plaster you are painting? If so it needs a mist coat to seal it. 2nd coat watered down by 10%, 3rd coat neat. But it depends on what paint you are using.

Is there some contaminant on the wall - wallpaper paste, PVA (urghhhh!!), or something else preventing the paint from adhering properly?

Cheers

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:51 pm

Hi guys,
It's not new plaster, it was covered by them hidious, 8ftx4ft ply wood panels, the wall had the old green paint that must have been popular when the vikings where marroding and left over from the longboats! But the wall seemed in good condition.
It was emulson that was used.
KB

nonicon
Labourer
Labourer

by nonicon » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:05 am

Hi

I too seem to have problems with flaking paint.

I moved into a 1960's ex council property last year. Painted the entire house only for the paint to start flaking off almost immediately. There doesn't appear to be any damp.

Everywhere I look there seems to be patches of paint coming off, internal walls included - it's driving me mad.

I'm going to have to start from scratch and either remove the paint from all walls myself (which is going to take forever) or have the walls skimmed (which is going to cost the earth as really all rooms need doing).

Any advice would be greatly received.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:59 pm

nonicon,
Try an area with a matt oil based paint and see if this sticks.
end

nonicon
Labourer
Labourer

by nonicon » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:06 am

Thanks for that Stoneyboy.

If I scrape/sand off the flaky paint areas only, then paint with the oil based matt will I get a smooth finish, or do I need to remove the paint from the whole wall and get bask to the plaster?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:06 pm

nonicon,
Use an umdercoat that is not too thick (eg Permogalze would need thinning) and feather in the edges - you won't then see the patches.
end

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:22 am