New planning permision for old satellite dish
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
greeny12m
Labourer
Labourer

New planning permision for old satellite dish

by greeny12m » Fri May 15, 2009 10:36 am

I live in a rented house that already had a satellite dish on. I had it connected and am now being told to take the dish down (because i live in a conservation area). someone must have objected when they thought it was being connected not installed. the annoying thing is that the house 2 doors down has 3 dishes on! and my dish is definately the most discrete on the street.

I will only be in the property for another 3 months. Anybody have any ideas how to avoid taking it down until then?

bd3cc
Foreman
Foreman

by bd3cc » Fri May 15, 2009 10:45 pm

If the dish was already there, appeal,contest etc cos that will take at least 3 months.

greeny12m
Labourer
Labourer

by greeny12m » Mon May 18, 2009 10:32 am

Thanks,
i have already begun the questioning and objecting. any ideas for arguements that i could be using that actualy have any solid legal basis for objections?
e.g. if the dish was put up before the conservation area was establised. does anybody know when the conservation areas were established? (I live in the oxford road, putney one)
(I am totaly new to dealing with councils etc, this is my first rented house so any help however litte is much appreciated)

bd3cc
Foreman
Foreman

by bd3cc » Mon May 18, 2009 9:30 pm

Surely if the dish was already there, connection to a receiver makes no difference whatsoever.
Who owns the dish and who is telling you to take it down?
You may need a solicitor on the case, if you wish to fight it, but as in my previous post, I doubt that anything will happen in 3 months.
Something tells me that you can get a 20min consultation with some solicitors "free of charge". Maybe you should find one of these.

greeny12m
Labourer
Labourer

by greeny12m » Tue May 19, 2009 11:13 am

well that is my position! i have just looked on goolge maps and when that picture was taken it wasn't connected so i do have some sort of proof i didnt put it up. I suppose either the landlord or myself own the dish ( as i did pay for one but just used that one). depending on the councils reply ( i am doing everything by snail mail to slow things down) I might try a free solicitors consultation.
Thanks - i will keep this thread updated as to my situation

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Tue May 19, 2009 9:54 pm

greeny12m,
Don't waste your time with solicitors, just write to the council telling them that it has always been there (and presumably it was there when you moved in so you can give them a date when you moved in).
end

greeny12m
Labourer
Labourer

by greeny12m » Wed May 20, 2009 10:28 am

but is it possible that the fact that it was there when i moved in irrelevant if there was never planning permission for it? could they try and make me take it down?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Thu May 21, 2009 10:11 pm

greeny12m,
The responsibility is your landlords - get them to sort it out.
end

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1