New plaster and dehumidifier
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
tom_beach
Labourer
Labourer

New plaster and dehumidifier

by tom_beach » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:29 pm

Hi,

I have just had pretty much my entire house replastered about 2 weeks ago (it was previously artexed throughout). This meant that is was extremely damp, and so to help with this I have had a dehumidifier running (a reasonably small one on the landing with the other doors around the house open).

I have noticed a couple of small cracks today and was wondering if this could have anything to do with the dehumidifier? I have tried to look this up on the internet and have found conflicting results; some saying you should do it to make the house livable and keep things moving, overs saying it will dry the plaster out too quickly. I was therefore just looking for some advice.

Thanks, Tom.

dbcrx
Labourer
Labourer

de humidifier and drying plaster

by dbcrx » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:44 pm

hi, i'm in a similar situation at the moment. just had the whole house skimmed because of artexing. am thinking about buying a dehumidfier after hearing a friend say that the builder who worked on thier house used one to dry it out. i've read conflicting things on the web and don't want any cracking of the plaster. if i find anything out i'll let you know. with winter coming i think i might just wait out the natural drying process to be on the safe side.

loulou
Labourer
Labourer

by loulou » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:02 pm

'What if the dehumidifier dries the air too much?

Unless your settings are wildly incorrect, this simply won’t happen. If there is no more moisture there the dehumidifier can’t collect it.

wraithly
Apprentice
Apprentice

by wraithly » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:04 pm

i have used a dehumidifier hundreds of times to help reduce moisture when plasterering including large industrial machines and never had any ill effects so i would say that it may be more to do with the background that was plastered

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:51 am