NEW PLASTER FELL OFF CEILING
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
finley189
Labourer
Labourer

NEW PLASTER FELL OFF CEILING

by finley189 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:32 pm

Four months ago I hired a plasterer to skim the artexed ceilings downstairs in my victorian terraced house. I was instructed to apply three coats of PVA, 1 part water to 1 part PVA. The work was completed and I left it to dry for two months before using 'new plaster' paint. When applying the paint in one of the rooms, a large patch of the plaster fell off, revealing the artex. I have not experienced any problems with the other rooms that were plastered downstairs. Please could anyone offer any ideas as to what has happened. Thank you.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:15 am

Hi finley189
PVA bad stuff sometimes! i'm surprised you was instructed to apply 3 coats, what happens with PVA is when it is applied and dries it forms a skin and what your are experiencing are the effects of the weight of the plaster peeling away from the skin that the PVA has formed. Even more likely to happen with three application.
Regards
KB

Helly
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Helly » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:36 am

hi kbrownie... how would it be possible to avoid this happening...by just applying PVA once... or using something else entirely? what is PVA? I ask all of these things because I am about to have my lounge ceiling re-plastered & I then want to paint it... any advice you could give me around this greatly appreciated...

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:48 pm

Hi Helly,
I have nothing against PVA it is a wonderfull product used correctly, if not it can cause problems.
PVA (Polyvinyl Acetate) comes in tubs and texture is simular to wood glue, used for sealing and bonding.
If it's New plaster on to old, then it's recomended to prime ceiling with a dilute PVA not one to one but about one to 4/5 water. I'd apply 2 coats. before plastering.
If straight on to plasterboard no priming needed but i'd dampen area i was to skim.

Helly;
if you have not yet discovered the Projects page on this website have a look under plastering, could be some good info if your DIY.
I hope this was helpfull and I answered your question/s
Regards
KB

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:28 pm