New radiators cold even though water is getting to them.
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ronecc1
Apprentice
Apprentice

New radiators cold even though water is getting to them.

Post by ronecc1 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:57 pm

I know this will be difficult without actually being there.
My daughters two storey house has a large single story extension across the back of the house, approx 4 x 12 mtrs
The heating was not very good when she purchased it, so she did have the system cleaned and supposedly had it pressure cleaned. Quite a lot of dirty water came out, but since then only certain radiators get warm, whilst others stay cold.
She recently had the large extension opened up between the extensions dividing wall whilst blocking up the opening to the old lounge.
Two new tall radiators were fitted, one in each side/room of the extension.
Neither radiators get warm although water is getting to both as the bleed valve proves. Heat reaches the inlet valve of one radiator and very slightly warms the top 1/2". The other stays cold. The old radiators were about the same. When I checked the bleed valve, the water squirted out, not dribbled.
The radiator in the bedroom adjacent to the extension, in the original house, is cold.
At first I thought maybe the boiler is too small to heat the extra pipework, but as heat is reaching one inlet on the new radiator, I have decided maybe it is okay.
The pipework is 10/12 mm (I have not measured to be honest).I am thinking maybe there is more sludge in the system than came out when cleaned, maybe a blocked radiator or two, but I thought that the water would still circulate even though one or two are blocked.
The plumber that fitted the radiators has put a cleaner in and told her to leave it a few weeks and he will come back. Trouble is winter is getting closer and she could do with some heating.
The house is about 20 years old if gives some idea of the system fitted. There is also what looks like a pressure tank below the boiler if that helps.
The plumber said he thought if the cleaner does not help, he might have to start digging out plaster to fit larger pipework, but again, as the water is getting to one radiator, I am not sure 15mm pipe would make much difference, if at all.
I am thinking (although I am stabbing in the dark), give the system a good power flush and/or trying to work out if blocked radiators are the problem.
I think the house is probably 145 sq mtrs 4 bed, integral garage.
Can anybody suggest any ideas of what could be wrong?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: New radiators cold even though water is getting to them.

Post by stoneyboy » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:13 pm

Hi ronecc1
Some radiators come with a flow bias - are the new ones like this and been fitted the wrong way round?
Has the system been balanced since it was extended?
Regards S

ronecc1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by ronecc1 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:27 pm

Quick answer, don't know and don't know. Maybe I should get on to the supplier and find out, thanks.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:48 pm

Hi ronecc1
If they are bog standard radiators you should be ok but if they are designer radiators they may be flow directional, no they cannot be reversed..
Regards S

ronecc1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by ronecc1 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:00 pm

I think you could call them designer as they are tall grey ones.

ronecc1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by ronecc1 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:23 pm

I think you could call them designer as they are tall grey ones. I have just checked the manufacturers details for the radiators and it does not say anything about directional. All it says is, 'if both water connections are at the bottom a baffle is advised to be fitted'. Whatever a baffle is in a radiator.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:55 pm

Hi ronecc1
The baffle is fitted at the bottom restricting the flow so that there is not a short circuit from inlet to outlet. Perhaps your installer did not fit one.
Regards S

ronecc1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by ronecc1 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:18 pm

Thanks for the info. I have just found them on the site I ordered the radiator from.

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:31 am