New radiators
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
John G
Labourer
Labourer

New radiators

Post by John G » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:16 am

I am replacing all my radiators at the same time as buying a new boiler. My question is to what extent should I worry about the position of the existing pipes leading to the current radiators when choosing the size and position of new radiators?

Advice much appreciated.

mattpark
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by mattpark » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:18 am

QUITE ALOT Is this a project you are to DIY or is it a plumbers job?. If you move a rad, the circuit (of pipes) has to be adjusted in order to keep it complete, and meet the new rads. This will obviously mean getting the floorboards up for reconnecting / adjusting / extending the copper piping. However with plastic piping theh job can be made easier but if you move several rads it may well be a big expensive job.

John G
Labourer
Labourer

Post by John G » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:38 pm

Hi Matt,

thanks for the advice. I should have a been a little more precise. I'm buying radiators and getting a plumber to fit. Most of the radiator positions will be as before but may be a few inches wider or narrower, ie not exactly meeting the existing pipes coming up through the floorboards. Should I worry about this or will the plumber just extend/cut off existing pipework to fit to new sized radiator?

Thanks

swidders
Ganger
Ganger

Post by swidders » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:36 pm

Not a problem for a plumber - pipework is his business.

Skids
Ganger
Ganger

Post by Skids » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:42 pm

Hi John G

If he is a plumber!

He should have given you a list of the sizes of the Rads to order

There again, he should get a better price for trade ! ! than you ?

You are paying him to replace the Rads ~ that means to remove & fit the new ones ~

Are you fitting new valves (lockshelds & TRV) ?

Make sure he balances the CH system correctly after otherwise the CH will NOT work correctly

Regards

Skids

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

Post by Steve the gas » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:36 am

Hi John,

I'm almost sure the Plumber will sort this if he/she (pc) is any good

TheDoctor5

Post by TheDoctor5 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:31 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1