New roof in 2015, Eunice blew off ridge tiles
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bjh1977
Labourer
Labourer

New roof in 2015, Eunice blew off ridge tiles

by bjh1977 » Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:31 pm

Hi

Hoping an expert can help..

We had a loft extension back in 2015 and a new partially flat, partially pitched roof was made. At the time I thought the roofers had done a great job, but Storm Eunice came along on Friday and blew off about 15 ridge tiles (one of which landed on a kitchen roof lantern and smashed it - doh).

I was surprised that a newish roof would fare so badly in the storm, especially since we seem to have suffered more than anyone else on our road. Having said that, our next door neighbour also lost a load of ridge tiles, and his roof is only two years old (interestingly, he used the same builder as we did).

So, my question: Would it be reasonable for me to expect that my roof was constructed according to BS5534:2014? In other words, should my roof have had mechanical fixings on the ridge tiles, rather than just laid onto mortar?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: New roof in 2015, Eunice blew off ridge tiles

by stoneyboy » Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:06 pm

Hi bjh1977,
The BS you refer to came into effect at the end of Feb 2015 and this included that ridge tiles should be mechanically fixed. There is no requirement for roofers to follow the BS, it is guidance only but since your builder did not comply you may have a claim against him.
If the extension had Building Regs approval you should approach the certifying body for guidance.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:19 am