New room thermostat but it's not 'clicking'
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Dr oberts
Labourer
Labourer

New room thermostat but it's not 'clicking'

by Dr oberts » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:36 pm

I'm wanting to switch my analog room thermostat for something a bit less yellow...

Based on how the current one is wired (pic attached) I assumed it was a 3-Wire Installation one I needed and went for this one:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/drayton-rts1 ... _container

However, when installed it doesn't 'click' to notify the temp, so doesn't turn the heating off at any point as the house heats up.

For ref: I wired 1 (old thermostat) to L (new), 2 to N, 3 to 3/Call

Hope that makes sense. Is there anything I'm obviously doing wrong and can be fixed? Or have I picked the completely wrong new thermostat in the first place?!

Any help/advice much appreciated
Attachments
IMG_20201230_121211-min (1).jpg
IMG_20201230_121042-min (1).jpg

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: New room thermostat but it's not 'clicking'

by ericmark » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:29 pm

The black wire is neutral, it is not needed, the thermostat will work without it, however with it connected it will reduce the hysteresis.

There is nothing to identify the two red wires, one is feed in, and one is feed out, if the wrong way around the hysteresis reduction will not work as it should, but thermostat will still work.

If the black neutral wire it put in wrong place it can cause damage. So if not sure, don't connect.

So old black should go to N and other two to L and 3, So 2 = N, 1 = L and 3 = 3.

Personally I would use Flomasta 22199SX Wired Digital Programmable Room Thermostat (6259G) screwfix number, it is two wire so black not used, just the two reds, and it does not matter which way around, and it also has a programmable function.

Even with nothing connected the new thermostat should click,

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1