New Skim Patch Fell off the Wall - Is Patching it up Going to be ok?
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
beigeM
Labourer
Labourer

New Skim Patch Fell off the Wall - Is Patching it up Going to be ok?

by beigeM » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:29 am

Just had a job done and it's not turning out well, so looking for some opinions/advice about what to do.

Plastering job included skimming one of the bedroom walls, as well as boarding & skimming ceiling.

It looked ok, but when I was applying the mist coat the plaster started to come away from the wall. Plasterer came back and (easily) pulled a large circle off. The painted round all the edges with PVA and came back the next day to plaster in the patch.

2014-02-13 08.55.36small.jpg

2014-02-13 12.46.45small.jpg

Question 1 - Is this satisfactory? Is the quality of finish going to suffer?

Upon his advice I lightly sanded down around the patch and have applied 2 mist coats. It seems like there is a fair amount of exposed PVA on the wall now and the paint is not covering it well. I'm also starting to get uneven patches - some with a solid coat of paint and some still looking dirty.

2014-02-17 17.21.50small.jpg

Question 2 - Any advice? Should I worry about it?

Feel like I've paid a small fortune for this little job and I though I was paying to get an excellent finish. I can hopefully use responses here to argue under the 'guarantee' I was given and get what I've paid for. Thanks in advance.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: New Skim Patch Fell off the Wall - Is Patching it up Going to be ok?

by welsh brickie » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:49 pm

tap the entire wall with your hand to see if its loose, I suspect that he did not pva the wall before hand, that's why a large patch has come off, The finish does not look the best to be honest

beigeM
Labourer
Labourer

Re: New Skim Patch Fell off the Wall - Is Patching it up Going to be ok?

by beigeM » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:21 am

thanks, Welsh Brickie - indeed - most of it isn't well bonded. Removing it all myself (which should take about 60 seconds) and getting someone else in to re-skim.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:41 pm