New sockets
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
chrisgadd
Labourer
Labourer

New sockets

Post by chrisgadd » Thu May 31, 2007 2:40 pm

Hi,

I have just moved into a 1930's house which looks as though it has been re-wired. Unfortunately there are very few sockets in each room and the sockets are mounted on the skirting boards.
As we decorate each room my intension is to include more sockets and move the existing ones onto the wall.
The first room I want to do this is in the bedroom where the existing socket is on the skirting board that is fixed to a studded wall. I was going to use plaster board sockets would this be ok or is there a better solution

Jeffmo
Ganger
Ganger

Post by Jeffmo » Thu May 31, 2007 8:44 pm

hi chris, i doubt that you will have enough cable on existing wiring to acheive move to walls from skirt . you have 2 options new circuit wiring back to fuse box or junction box under floor to new switch fittings . Best to use plaster board fittings on stud wall . Cheers Jeff .

chrisgadd
Labourer
Labourer

Post by chrisgadd » Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:34 am

Thanks Jeff,
I was planning to lift a floor board as we currentl have no carpet laid and fit a junction box attached to one of the floor joists. There is currently only one socket and I'm planning to create three, two near the existing one and another one on the far side of the bedroom.

pdenni
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by pdenni » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:42 am

just something to think about, regs do not allow junction boxes unless they are readily accesible, under a floor board doesn't count as accesible.

Jeffmo
Ganger
Ganger

Post by Jeffmo » Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:00 pm

just something to think about also is j.b allowed if accessible , under floor boards normaly isn't however common sense would mean that a inspection trap would be accesible . Rather like the one for going under floors . Regards Jeff . ( dont worry about confusion me and pdenni seem to have a healthy running conflict ) cheers Jeff.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:59 am