New Worcestershire Greenstar i Jnr DAMAGE?
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
axzed
Apprentice
Apprentice

New Worcestershire Greenstar i Jnr DAMAGE?

by axzed » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:40 pm

Hi, If a new combi is switched of by unplugging for 12 days (no room stat fitted yet) at setting 1, will any damage have been incurred (ali heat exchanger, etc.)? Thanks

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: New Worcestershire Greenstar i Jnr DAMAGE?

by plumbbob » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:32 pm

Most probably not but it is unwise to switch off a boiler unplugging. Always use the on/off switch on the boiler control panel.

axzed
Apprentice
Apprentice

by axzed » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:19 am

Hi, Thanks. I know that now, hence the question. Can anyone be more definitive on this? Have I shortened the life of the unit?

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:53 am

There is no definitive answer. The remote possibility of damage is to the heat exchanger and only could occur if the burner was actually firing at the time it was switched off. Then it would depend if the water in the heat exchanger was hot enough to boil away causing a hot spot. Then it depends on if the hot spot is sufficient to cause deformation. Then by how much and is it enough to effect the unit?

Boilers shut down because of power failures and other reasons every day and there is no evidence to suppose the life span is always (or ever )caused.

axzed
Apprentice
Apprentice

by axzed » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:08 am

Hi again. Thanks for your added time on this. I don't think it was firing or we would probably have been too alarmed to unplug. As I said, it was on the lowest boiler setting of '1' We have been awaiting the room stat. to be fitted and the installer- when asked how we switch it off- answered, 'unplug it'! I decided to use a timer for auto morning switch on but used the timer over ride switch to turn the boiler off at night. Is any possible damage accumulative, (maybe visible?) or a question of it still woks okay, it is okay?
Thanks

axzed
Apprentice
Apprentice

by axzed » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:44 am

Is there any other protection? The fitter later added there was a device related to the large flue that kicks in to safeguard the boiler. ??? I am baffled as to why he would answer 'unplug it'.

axzed
Apprentice
Apprentice

by axzed » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:24 pm

I guess I need to contact Bosch

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1