Newbie DIY Help - Bathroom Downlights Allowing Condensation Into Loft Space?
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bathroomdownlight
Labourer
Labourer

Newbie DIY Help - Bathroom Downlights Allowing Condensation Into Loft Space?

by bathroomdownlight » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:15 pm

Hi

Could anyone help me with a bathroom downlight problem? I've just bought my first house and the bathroom (which gets a lot of condensation) has downlights over the bath. These downlights aren't flush with the ceiling, to the extent I think condensation is rising up throught the bathroom and into the loft space.

Is there a sealant that I can use to fill these holes?

Grateful for any advice, I know nothing about DIY so please assume complete ignorance on my part!

proptech
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Newbie DIY Help - Bathroom Downlights Allowing Condensation Into Loft Space?

by proptech » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:12 pm

Hi
You are right to be concerned. Downlights are normally held in place with a spring mechanism that would keep them flush with the ceiling. As there is a problem here they may be badly installed, therefore I would be concerned whether these lights are designed for bathroom use.

As you have no DIY experience, and there could just be a safety issue here, can I suggest you get an electrician to check the installation. In a bathroom it is essential that any electrical installation is 100% correct.

Sorry to be a bit non-DIY, but I have to think of safety first. I've known of many cases where someone has got hold of cheap lights, and bunged them in, with no regard as to their rating for use in a bathroom.

As you have bought your first house, I wish you every success, and hope you will gain your DIY skills as time goes by. There's loads of info on this site.

bathroomdownlight
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Newbie DIY Help - Bathroom Downlights Allowing Condensation Into Loft Space?

by bathroomdownlight » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:40 pm

Thanks for your reply, I think this is a sensible idea given the water/electrics mix. It's my first house and I don't want it to be my last!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:31 pm