Newly installed flat roof
Information, help and advice on maintaining, installing and repairing a flat roof. Post your questions and view answers here

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
offenbach
Labourer
Labourer

Newly installed flat roof

by offenbach » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:04 pm

I have just had my garage roof replaced and the contractor is coming back tomorrow to finish off facias and guttering but I would appreciate some feedback on an issue I'm not happy with.

Work carried out was the removal of existing felt, removal of original deck, replacing deck with new chipboard T & G flooring, re-felting with several layers felt with final layer of mineral felt (torch on), new UPVC facias and guttering.

The roofer came today to take away the traler load of debris and I pointed out to him that there are two or three blisters on one of the runs. He said these would be OK and as they offer a ten year warranty any problems would be sorted out as they appeared. Because I showed concern he said that when his roofer comes tomorrow he will get him to apply some heat to bed down the blisters and if that does't work he can have the area cut out and a new piece put in. I suppose this would in effect be a patch.

Any advice on whether this is acceptable or should I be expecting more. Do I have the right to say to him to remove the felt and start again. I know from past experience that it can be very involved and costly to reject work completely. The cost of this job is £1,200.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:15 pm

offenbach,
The bubbles are probably due to damp trapped between the layers of felt, these will get worse and bigger in hot weather.
Your problem will be persuading your contractor that this is defective - many flat roofers consider this to be a normal "feature".
If your contractor is affiliated to a larger company who is providing the guarantee I suggest you approach them with your issue.
end

offenbach
Labourer
Labourer

by offenbach » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:40 am

Thanks for your reply.

The roofer who came yesterday to pick up his trailer was the company boss and as at 11.30am this morning when then roofers hadn't shown up I telephoned him to ask why they weren't here to finish the job. He seemed apologetic and agreed the finish is not what both he and I should expect from his company so he is sending out his roofers tomorrow to remove any blisters and lay a complete new top layer on top of the offending layer.

He claims I will actually have a better sealed roof because of the extra layer and he wants to preserve the company's good name.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:43 am