Newspaper Used As Dropcloth Stuck-Help
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
CatwomanofV
Labourer
Labourer

Newspaper Used As Dropcloth Stuck-Help

by CatwomanofV » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:24 pm

I am repainting boards that we use for shelves. I put them on top of newspaper to use as a drop cloth when I painted them. After giving the boards 2 coats-including the edges, I was going to turn them over and do the other side. However, the newspaper is now stuck to the boards around the edges. Can someone give me some advice as to how to get rid of the newspaper before I paint the other side of the boards?

Thanks,

Cat

theshedman
Foreman
Foreman

by theshedman » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:59 am

Hi Catwoman, sounds like you will need to cut them off. Just turn them over to the side that hasn't been painted, pull the paper to the edge of the wood and slide a knife down it. Any small bits of paper left afterwards can be sanded off with some fine glasspaper. When you come to do the other side put the boards on thin strips of wood so that the paper underneath doesn't touch the boards and that should be fine. Good luck.

CatwomanofV
Labourer
Labourer

by CatwomanofV » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:11 pm

[quote="theshedman"]Hi Catwoman, sounds like you will need to cut them off. Just turn them over to the side that hasn't been painted, pull the paper to the edge of the wood and slide a knife down it. Any small bits of paper left afterwards can be sanded off with some fine glasspaper. When you come to do the other side put the boards on thin strips of wood so that the paper underneath doesn't touch the boards and that should be fine. Good luck.[/quote]

I did try a knife and I started to cut the wood. :( I did do other boards this morning and I have learned my lesson and put a piece of wood underneath. I did think of sandpaper, too but haven't tried it. I feel so stupid. I thought this was going to be an easy job. :oops:

Thanks for your advice.

Cat

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:44 pm