Next Luna 5 Light
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

10 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
GTI
Labourer
Labourer

Next Luna 5 Light

by GTI » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:21 pm

trying to fit the above lght I have removed the old celing rose and conected up as per the instuction given,but i must have something wrong as when you swicth the light on it trips out
supplied with the fitting was 1 connector block 3 way
i have 3 browns 3 blues and the earths and can indentfiy which cables runto the switch

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:36 pm

GTI,
If can identify as you claim the switch wires, this is what you need to do.
The in-coming and out going Blues(neutrals) terminated together (not the Blue Switch wire) to Blue terminal side of light.
The Blue switch wire(which should be sleeved Brown) to Brown terminal side of light.
All the Brown cables terminated together
all the earths terminated together to earth
and that should do the trick.
Remember to isolate electrics safely before carrying out any work.
Good Luck
KB

ericmark

by ericmark » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:33 pm

So you have connected the three browns together with a connection block of some sort put the switch blue to new lamps brown and other two blues to new lamps blue with all earths together that should work.

But if you connect all blues together it will blow fuse as blue from switch is not neutral it is switched live.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:31 pm

see doc's project replacing a ceiling light, or look back thro' the 50 or so same question in forums recent history....
yes all browns in one, all blue in other will go BANG! it's wrong!

GTI
Labourer
Labourer

Next Luna light Fitting

by GTI » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:29 am

Thanks for your help its now up and working correctly , just the one to fit in the front room you may hear from me soon ! GTi

chrisg140
Labourer
Labourer

NEXT LUNA 5 LIGHT - PLEASE HELP!!

by chrisg140 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:04 pm

Hello, please help this novice...

I'm trying to connect a NEXT Luna 5 light but cannot relate to the current posts solutions.

My ceiling rose circuit at present looks like this; (from left to right)

was blue, black red, red, red black, (was brown)

I thought I'd just need to connect the Earth wire along with the others, blue in where blue was and brown where the brown socket was previously. [b]Do I need to use the connector block supplied? If so, what goes where as there are only 6 holes and my ceiling rose above has 7 wires in total.

My fuse box keeps tripping as a result and I'm running out of ideas...please help, thank you in advance.

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:17 pm

See the electrical projects the answer is in there

ericmark

by ericmark » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:32 pm

To Chrisg140 Ceiling rose normally 8 holes? 2 with switch wires, 3 with power, 3 neutral wires. Plus clamp for earths. Normal problem is mixing up switch wire and neutral wires both which may be black or blue with new colours. There should be a red or brown sleeve on switch wire but often missed or fallen off. Normally you need an extra connection to those supplied with lights for the live wires which do not connect to new lamp but link all lights in the house together. Also not a good idea to add question like this to existing post better to start a new one. It could really confuse GTi

chrisg140
Labourer
Labourer

by chrisg140 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:53 am

Hi Eric,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortuantely, I'm still not there yet. I understand the switch (blue and brown) must not be clamped in the wrong holes. At present the ceiling rose looks like this:

brown, black red, red, red black, blue

earth on the new light is connected to other earth clamp

I've tried again this morning and it is still tripping the fuse. IS THE CONNECTOR BOX SUPPLIED A COMPULSORY COMPONENT?

ericmark

by ericmark » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:33 pm

On a standard ceiling rose forgetting about the earth it has three sets of connections.

A double called L this has the switch wire which is normally Black with a red sleeve on it plus the brown wire to your lamp.

In centre called Loop a triple connector which will have all the red wires and does not connect in any way to your lamp.

On other side another triple connector called N this should have two black wires plus the blue wire to your lamp.

This gives total of 3 reds and 3 blacks you only list 2 blacks?

The main problem with people trying to wire lamps is the rose does not only work the lamp you are working on but also supplies other lights with power. As a result we have three red wires which do not connect to the light fitting at all.

Second is of the three black wires one is live and should have a red sleeve and the other two are return and under no circumstances must the black with red sleeve be connected to the other blacks.

I will guess you have got the blacks mixed up? but since you are missing a black in your count you may have also not realised that you have three connections.

I have given detailed instructions on how to work out which wires are which on previous posts but until you have found all your wires there would be no point. I have put instructions on my web site which has www in front of log in name and is on talktalk.net but we are not allowed to give links. There are also projects on this forum which will help.

In view of the problems you seem to be having I would consider your best option is to get an electrician in to sort the problem.

10 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:52 pm