All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
LMurr
Labourer
Labourer

No cold to gravity fed shower pump?

by LMurr » Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:19 pm

Hello,

Hoping someone can help. We have a gravity fed shower pump. We’ve had issues with it for a while but recently the cold has completely stopped. The cold to our entire bathroom stopped which turned out to be an airlock which I managed to get rid of. But the cold won’t come out of our shower at all. We have tried with the pump turned off and still nothing comes out so we think it might be an airlock?

Can someone talk me through how to remove an airlock in the cold that feeds the pump/shower?

We have cleaned filter of our pump which was very clogged but that didn’t resolve the issue. The fact no water comes through even when pump is off leads me to believe the issue isn’t the pump?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: No cold to gravity fed shower pump?

by stoneyboy » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:43 pm

Hi lmurr,
The easiest and safest way to clear the airlock is to use a wet vac onto the disconnected cold feed to the pump and suck. Alternatively you could connect a mains hose to the same pipe and blow the airlock back into the CWT.
Regards S

LMurr
Labourer
Labourer

by LMurr » Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:05 am

stoneyboy wrote:Hi lmurr,
The easiest and safest way to clear the airlock is to use a wet vac onto the disconnected cold feed to the pump and suck. Alternatively you could connect a mains hose to the same pipe and blow the airlock back into the CWT.

Thanks for your reply. I don’t have a wet vac and I don’t think a hose would reach from my kitchen tap to the pump pipe. Are those the only ways to get it out? I saw a post on here where someone managed to remove it by running it into a bowl but wasn’t exactly sure what they meant by that.

If we disconnect the pipes from the pump and put the cold into a bowl then turn the gate valve on to run water through might that work or is that just a stupid idea?

Regards S

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:16 pm

Hi lmurr,
It’s worth trying turning off the cold water, disconnecting the pump feed, putting the feed pipe into a bowl or bucket and turning the water back on. Sorry but I had assumed you would have tried this when you cleaned the pump filters.
Regards S

LMurr
Labourer
Labourer

by LMurr » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:56 am

stoneyboy wrote:Hi lmurr,
It’s worth trying turning off the cold water, disconnecting the pump feed, putting the feed pipe into a bowl or bucket and turning the water back on. Sorry but I had assumed you would have tried this when you cleaned the pump filters.

Ah no hadn’t tried that. That’s great we will try it today. Will let you know how we get on.

Thanks for replying.
Lorna
Regards S

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:29 am